(Closed) Free Name Change!

posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
137 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Thank you!  I have been all over the internet and weddingbee, trying to figure out how social security determines your name based on the marriage license (our marriage license only has previous names, not names post-wedding).  It sounds like, if my luck follows yours, I should not have a problem!

Thanks again and congrats on your recent marriage (and successful name change)!

Post # 4
1995 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

In NC you’re marriage license has nothing to do with your name change – only serves as a proof of reason to allow you to do it.  You go to the SS Office and fill out the form with how ever you want your new name to be.  So glad you figured your situation out but I had no idea it was so difficult elsewhere!

Post # 6
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

In CO the SSA was the same way.  You go there with the marriage license and they change your name how you want.  Some states want you to go to the DMV first though so I would check with your individual state.

Post # 7
3762 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Florida is the same process.  Just go into the SS office.  They will ask how you want your name to be shown.  You will verify it and be on your way.

By The Way, they said my new SS card would take 2 weeks to get here and I got it in about a week. 

The topic ‘Free Name Change!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors