(Closed) French Polynesia, Greek Islands, or Costa Rica Honeymoon?

posted 8 years ago in Honeymoons
  • poll: Which honeymoon destination would you choose?
    Costa Rica : (14 votes)
    19 %
    Greek Islands : (27 votes)
    37 %
    French Polynesia : (32 votes)
    44 %
  • Post # 18
    1835 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

@smarie13:  haha, pricey doesn’t even begin to cover FP. You’ll spend a minimum of $12K-$15K just to get there and stay at one of the nice resorts, and meals/taxis/excursions are expensive. A dinner for two on Moorea at a nice restaurant runs around $120 without alcohol. On Bora Bora, a place like Villa Mahana runs $700-$900 for their fixed menu. Jet-skiing for one person was $200-$300. A 2 hour tour around the island with photos was $500. Drinks are $10-$12 a piece. Bottled water is $7 or $8. Of course, you can stay at one of the smaller pensions, but they’re not really for honeymooners, more for folks that have come back to FP for an extended trip with family/friends. If your fiance is an avid scuba or snorkeler guy, FP would be perfect for him, it has the most beautiful water in the world.

Moorea is a quick ferry ride from Tahiti. Bora Bora is a 30 minute flight from Moorea, if it’s with a stop in Hauhine, it’s 45 minutes.

Post # 19
    1845 posts
    Buzzing bee

@kenziemt:  “Peak season for the Greek Islands is April to October with July/August being busiest, for Costa Rica its dryer season is November – April, for Moorea its May – October with July being a peak month.

Very true, which means for me, that would rule out the Greek Islands (way too busy) and Costa Rica (high chance of rain) and leave Moorea. Even though it’s peak time, I would choose Moorea (and add Bora Bora and Tahiti) as it will be a lot less busy/crowded than the Greek Islands.

Not sure if you’re open to other options, but the Whitsunday Islands off the coast of Australia are beautiful in July – my SO and I went there last year and because it was winter, the resort was less crowded, the day trips cheaper and the weather was still sunny and warm (around 25 degrees which is nice, as in summer it can get over 35).

Another gorgeous Island is the Maldives, though if you are looking to travel in July, I wouldn’t recommend them for that time of year.

Post # 20
    488 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

We did Moorea and Bora Bora for 14 days last May. It depends on what kind of vacationers you guys are. As others have said, there is literally nothing to do in French Polynesia, except a tiny bit of hiking on Moorea and snorkeling/diving. This was ideal for us, because all we wanted to do was lay on the beach. If you need more excitement, I wouldn’t recommend going here.

Summer is peak season basically everywhere, but when the Greek Islands are packed, it’s miserably packed. I’ve never been, but have only heard the best things about Costa Rica. If you want adventure or beach, it has it all, and will DEFINITELY be cheaper than FP or Greece.

Post # 21
    378 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

@smarie13:  it’ll be raining in Costa Rica in July. We were looking there too but the change of rain is crazy high. 

Post # 24
    77 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

@smarie13:  We went to Costa Rica on our honeymoon and loved it.  I can’t wait to go back.  We split the week long trip over two different locations.  We started in Arenal and did the fun acitivites. We then headed over to the pacific coast to relax by the pool/ocean. 

I’ve never been to Greece, but hear it is gorgeous. I would assume flights would cost less to Costa Rica, plus shorter flying time. 

Post # 25
    2426 posts
    Buzzing bee

I’m going to Costa Rica in 1.5 weeks and I cannot wait. We booked through Anywherecostarica.com for hotels/activities and booked our own flight. I got a great deal on plane tickets by using kayak price alerts – saved $150 pp! You can put in your parameters in that website and they’ll shoot something back to you which you can completely change with no obligation to book. It’s interesting and actually fun to see. Good luck. 

Post # 26
    1114 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

@smarie13:  I’m in Costa Rica right now actually,  and it’s gorgeous 🙂

First of all, I wouldn’t recommend going in February-April. It’ll be dry, but because a lot of things have dried up, it won’t be as beautiful. And the beginning of November can still be very wet, so I’d recommend mid November-early February. That is peak season, but as far as I can tell that doesn’t make it any less fun, though perhaps pricier. Also, there tends to be a beautiful break in the rainy season for about 3 weeks from mid-June to early July, but that seems less predictable.

If you want to go to more than one part of the country, you’ll probably need to rent a car, and in a lot of areas the roads aren’t very good, but I know some people like driving on dirt roads. The areas I’ve been to are San José, which is the capital and hot and city-like and not worth visiting but possibly worth flying into, Monteverde, which has an incredible cloud forest with reserves to hike through (go on a guided tour!), butterfly and hummingbird sanctuaries, and Extremo, an amazing zipline course which has a Tarzan swing (the first part was one of the most exhilarating/terrifying half seconds of my life, you’re free falling, but then the harness takes your weight and you swing back and forth a few times and it’s really cool), and a zipline a kilometer long where you go like Superman. They also have a much bigger tarzan swing and bungee but those cost like $40 by themselves, the tour is $40pp and totally worth it. But the cloud forest can get cold, so you’d want to have jeans and hoodies! We stayed at this adorable little hotel, with a cabin with an amazing view of the area, called El Sol, about 15-20 minutes away from everything, but much warmer.

And right now I’m by Playa del Coco, in the Guanacaste region. There are lots of beautiful beaches on the Pacific coast, generally the Atlantic coast is not ideal for tourists, it’s not as safe. Here we have an incredible view of the bay. I also hear great things about the Southern region, like around Arenal, the volcano. Costa Rica doesn’t technically have a lot of rain forest, but it does have a ton of incredible nature and things to do. 🙂

Post # 27
    858 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

Fiance and I are spending part of our honeymoon in Greece (also doing Paris and Italy).  I am half Greek, my grandmother was born and raised there, and occasionally family goes back.  I’ve never been personally, but I can tell you from photos, videos, and stories, it’s absolutely gorgeous there. 

We’re going for our honeymoon because I feel like it’s something that will be hard to do again in future years once we’re deep into careers. We’re taking 2.5 weeks to travel Europe. I feel like you can go to Costa Rica anytime, it’s much easier to plan and cheaper too.

If you’re going to go all out, I say Greece.

The topic ‘French Polynesia, Greek Islands, or Costa Rica Honeymoon?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors