(Closed) Friends with your ex?

posted 4 years ago in Relationships
  • poll: Are you friends with an ex?
    No! If I see my ex coming my way, I dive behind the nearest large object. : (61 votes)
    45 %
    We run into each other from time to time, and remain friendly. : (44 votes)
    32 %
    Yeah! I'd consider my ex one of my friends. : (32 votes)
    23 %
  • Post # 61
    234 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2017

View original reply
    @rainy578  I’m curious to know why you were surprised that your therapist didn’t agree with you being friends with your ex.

Post # 62
    1448 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2016 - St. John\'s Lutheran Church

I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but I don’t see anything wrong with being friends with an ex, depending on how you define that person. If they’re “my ex, with whom I am friendly,” that might be weird, but if they’re “my friend, whom I accidentally dated that one time,” who cares? I was best friends with my high school sweetheart for years until he moved across the world. He was just my friend, not my ex.

Post # 63
    2394 posts
    Buzzing bee

Depends on the ex! My abusive ex – absolutely no contact.  My first serious boyfriend (my first “everything” – if you know what I mean) – totally friends! In fact, we talk regularly. I also have an ex who is an “in between.” It wasn’t a great relationship but there were a lot of mitigating factors. We didn’t talk for a few years after we broke up, but slowly started chatting again a year or two ago. We’ll sometimes text each other just to see what’s up. I think it totally depends on the relationship, how it ended, etc.

Post # 64
    995 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2016

Not friends at all with any exes, nor is my Fiance. Some of my exes were creeps and not good people so there is no way I would be friends with them. But a couple of them, I could imagine if things ended differently, that we might have ended up as friends. Same with Fiance. But as for now and how things turned out with these people, they aren’t “safe” as friends and we both respect that.

Post # 65
    1131 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 2014

View original reply
    @rainy578  zero contact! They are exes for a reason! 

Post # 66
    899 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2017

Never, ever, would I be friends with an ex. Even if I thought they were okay, I feel like it would be a slap in the face to my current SO. I know that’s a more extreme view but it’s how I feel. And I would want my SO to be friends with any of his exes (which he’s not). It’s just a respect thing for me.

The past should be the past. 

Post # 70
    234 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2017

Hmmmm……Maybe the therapist is trying to help you save your relationship with your future husband, instead of a relationship with someone who isn’t.  Just my take.

I’m not friends with any of my ex’s – there’s a reason why they are an ex.  Someone who I was once in love with, shared special memories with and someone who knows every inch of my body?  And my FH is suppose to be cool with that (or vice versa)?  Yea…ummm NOPE.  If they were such a great person they wouldn’t be an ex.

For my FH and I this wouldn’t even be a discussion.  I choose my FH over someone I once slept with and he feels the same.  

The topic ‘Friends with your ex?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors