Gatsby/1920's signature cocktails

posted 2 years ago in Food
Post # 2
Hostess
1727 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

Search for Prohibition era cocktails. Something with gin would be appropriate. I’ve read that F. Scott Fitzgerald loved Gin Rickeys. 

Sidecars, French 75, Sazerac, old fashioned. 

I love old fashioned cocktails!

Post # 3
536 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I think they mention mint juleps in the novel and that is whiskey or bourbon (and delicious). Manhattans – like for the New York setting, but still subtle? 

Post # 6
976 posts
Busy bee

I am a whiskey drinker and love going to prohibition themed bars. Maybe you could go to one and try out drinks for a fun night? Old fashioned and sidecar are probably the most common but they’re both truly drinks for people who enjoy strong alcohol. 

This is one of my favorite drinks and I think it fits in well with that era because people loved their champagne in those funny wide topped glasses. It’s sooooo light and refreshing, perfect for dancing the night away. 

http://www.today.com/recipes/st-germain-champagne-cocktail-recipe-t106588

Its St Germain, lemon, and champagne. Add a rock candy stick for extra fun. 

Edit: I liked pp’s idea of giving you a bar menu, so here’s one from our favorite speakeasy themed bar:

Menu

Post # 7
3595 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

A really good gimlet (made with fresh lime juice) just can’t be beat. Vodka is pretty boring…I’d go with a gin based drink that features some sort of citrus (like a gimlet) that makes it really tasty

Post # 8
825 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2017 - Sea Cider

I second PP – skip vodka, go for gin.

and as a wine drinker, you might really enjoy a French 75!

Post # 9
688 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

My first thought was mint julep and French 75! Perfect era drinks, but still beloved today!

Post # 10
678 posts
Busy bee

Singapore Sling is my favorite Art Deco era cocktail! A French 75 seems like the perfect wedding cocktail for a Prohibition themed wedding, however.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors