Post # 17
I am going to do the traditional first dance, throw the bouquet and garder, then turn on the Wii, projected huge so everyone can watch.
I am also allowing the groom and his men to change into togas for the reception. It is pretty much just going to be a frat party lol
But I love it. I have no problem making the night fun for my fiance as well.
Post # 18
I wanted to make sure someone mentioned Rock Band or the newer, multi-instrument Guitar Hero games, and I wasn’t disappointed. It incorporates several people (The Beatles Rock Band even allows for multi-part harmonies so you can have three singers), and is a source of great music. If a crowd forms, you can have people swapping out instruments between songs, picking songs for others to play, and singing along.
Rock Band would be my suggestion, especially if you follow these guidelines:
- Get some great songs from the Rock Band store. The stock songs get old fast, and they have SO MUCH good stuff out there available as DLC, including Roy Orbison for the old folks
- Set the game to no fail mode. Who cares if Dad sucks, the game won’t boot him and everyone will have a great time
- Have a spare instrument if one breaks (if you have nerd friends, ask to borrow theirs so you don’t have to spring for a used one on craigslist, though that’s also an idea)
- Have some “rock’n’roll” accessories, like boas, 80’s wigs, gold chains, big sunglasses, rockin’ denim vests, etc. Consider having a friend play photographer
- Bribe your friends to go out there and have a crazy, unselfconscious good time. This is essential for anything you choose, including the Kinect. If people see that you can just jump on and have a lot of fun, the old people and sticklers will have fun
I think whatever is true to you guys, if done with a spirit of fun and hospitality, will catch on like wildfire among your guests. Yours totally sounds like a wedding I want to attend, fellow nerd!
Post # 19
@whitneyface: I was considering rock band, because we have hundreds of songs and it can be fun, but I don’t want it to turn into Karaoke. Not that I don’t love Karaoke (that’s pretty much the only reason I play rock band, so I can sing horribly!) but my father is very narcissistic, especially when sining is involved. He thinks he is the bees-knees, and I’d rather avoid that catastrophe lol
Also, I am considering just having two gaming “Stations” instead of making it the main event, that way people can continue to dance if they’d like.
I spoke to my Fiance about it though, and he’d rather have the projector for the Kinect.
I have to think about it a bit more…
Post # 20
I’ve tried to talk Fiance into doing this at our reception (my friends and I love Kinect/dance games, and have a blast with them), but he’s not budging. If you can get your Fiance to agree, GO FOR IT! I’ll live vicariously through you. ;]
Post # 21
@brighteyedgirl: It was his idea actually!
Post # 22
I think it’s a great idea!
My fiance and I discussed doing this but we love dancing and we’re having an outdoor event so we opted for cornhole for those who don’t want to dance or just want a break.