- 10 years ago
- Wedding: June 2010
Originally, my FH and I had planned to get married at the end of October 2009. The venue was a beautiful historic mansion that was in the process of being restored and was set to be complete by September 1.
The week we had to send out invitations, we were told that the mansion would not be completed in time, that it would not have plumbing, electricity, and so on. It was too late to try to find another place at such short notice, so we decided to postpone to the spring. And, yes, this is dumb – but we decided to give the mansion a second chance. January rolls around, and I begin e-mailing the lady in charge of the mansion to check on progress. It takes weeks for her to reply to any e-mails, and she sort of avoids my questions and makes excuses why we can’t see it. After several months, we finally get her to show us the mansion in the middle of March.
She kept telling me that I would be surprised at how much they had gotten done, but not to get my hopes overly up because it wasn’t completely ready yet. When we got there, I was surprised about how little had been done. Two rooms had been painted. There were no floors, no lights, no kitchen set-up, broken windows, no grass, no bathroom set-up, etc. There was a rickety back porch that did not look stable, which they said they planned to keep, completely covered in garbage. And, at this point, I had tenatively chosen May 22 as my new date.
Granted, I was gullible the first time in believing that the mansion would be completed on time, but I was not going to take that risk again. Especially since 6 months had passed since the first promised completion time, and only two rooms had been painted.
I told the lady that we didn’t feel like the mansion would be as complete as we wanted it by the time of our wedding and asked for a complete refund. She agreed, but asked if she could do installments because, evidently, she had run out of money. I agreed that was fine, as long as everything was paid back by the time of our wedding.
I wrote her an e-mail at the beginning of May, to which she did not respond. Then, I wrote her a Facebook message a few weeks ago, to which she finally responded that she would call me last Wednesday. After getting no response, I sent her a text message this morning for her to call me. I know I am beating around the bush with all of these e-contacts vs. phone confrontations, and that eventually I need to buckle down and call her. Or physically go see her. I really, really hate confrontations.
I originally signed a contract with her last summer saying that if I did not like the way the mansion had turned out by September 1, she would give me a full refund. But, it was not notorized and I don’t think I have a copy so I don’t know if it does me any good. And, I didn’t ask for my money back in September, still hoping the venue would work out for us.
My new wedding at my new venue is Saturday. Obviously, I don’t have any of the money back from the first venue.
Do I have any way to pursue getting the money back if she refuses to give it to me?