(Closed) Getting Bridesmaids Dress but wedding isnt until 2013

posted 6 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
3255 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@soccergurl: My concern would be about the girls’ weights fluctuating. For instance, one of my bridesmaids was probably two sizes bigger when we got married than she had been when we got engaged a year and a half prior.

Would it be possible for you to choose a dress a little closer to your wedding date and have each girl be responsible for ordering it? My bridesmaids were all over the country, so we ordered ours from J. Crew Bridal and each had hers delivered to her.

Post # 4
424 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

My ladies were also all over the place.  They ordered their dresses separately.  It hasn’t been a problem.

Not only might their sizes fluctuate, but styles might change as well.  I think it would be best to wait a bit.

Post # 5
3886 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Agreed— it’s too early. Fashion changes. Body weight changes. Your own image of a wedding changes. Don’t jump in too early!

Post # 6
95 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I don’t think it’s too early if you choose a classic style… and I would have everyone order up a size and plan on alterations unless you know them to be very consistent with their weight for more than the last couple of years. I agree with the other Bees’ concerns… but I think you could make it work.

Granted…they are speaking from experience, and I am not. 

Post # 7
4887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Way too early, IMO.  

Post # 8
1041 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

definitely too early.

Post # 9
934 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

It is probably a bit too early. My wedding is May 2013 and my bridal consultant told me that the bridesmaids dresses should be ordered by November 2012. If you are ordering through a bridal shop, give one a call and ask about timelines for ordering bridesmaid dresses. They should be able to give you some advice, hopefully!

Post # 12
582 posts
Busy bee

I am also planning a long distance wedding for August 2013. I honestly don’t think I will EVER be with all of my BM’s at once before the wedding, I am living in NY, two of my bridesmaids live in Northern CA, my Maid/Matron of Honor lives in Alabama so its impossible to get us all together. I know for us we haven’t 100% decided on dresses yet, but I don’t think ordering them in September would be too early. Have you ordered your dress yet? I know once I found my dress it changed my mind on what I wanted my Bridesmaid or Best Man dresses to be. As long as you have a concrete vision for you wedding and your BM’s I would say if every one is comfortable and happy with whatever dresses you pick out it’s not too early. Every one has their own “timeline” on when you’re “supposed” to do things, but the truth is its your wedding and its on your timeline so do what you want! 🙂 

Post # 14
66 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

My wedding is also in 2013. I live in California which is also where the wedding is, however all of my bridesmaids live in Canada (where I am from)… I am going up there in a couple of weeks, and we will be buying their dresses while I am there. I bought mine a couple months ago, so now that I know what I want them in, I can knock everything out up there this trip, so I can save money by not making another trip closer to the wedding.

I don’t think it’s a big deal to buy the dresses this early… I agree that it’s a worry about their weights fluctuating, but none of them seemed to be concerned about possibly needing alterations closer to the wedding. Good luck! 

Post # 15
582 posts
Busy bee

@soccergurl:  yeah as long as you know what you want and everyone is cool with it theres no reason not to! they should be able to keep their bodies around the same size, unless someone gets pregnant I think you will be fine! It’s hard when not everyone is local so you have to do what you can when you can whether it be on the “recommended timeline” or not! Shoot I am having my make up trial in august when I am in CA because I can’t think of another time I will be able to do it…i have about 4 trips planned to go home over the next 10 months and they are all already booked with stuff! It gets crazy when you can’t plan a wedding locally so I get it! A bride’s gotta do what she’s gotta do! 🙂 

The topic ‘Getting Bridesmaids Dress but wedding isnt until 2013’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors