(Closed) Getting "canonic" papers

posted 6 years ago in Catholic
Post # 3
635 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

We’re getting married at the parish I grew up at, but live hours away. We were required to do all of our preparation through our home parish, which we didn’t have at the beginning of the wedding planning process. We went in to a parish we’d occasionally attend and asked if they’d be willing to do it for us as long as we registered as parishioners. They were happy to do it and we registered on the spot. We did start attending weekly, as well as making our financial contributions. I doubt they would have been so accommodating for someone who just wanted paperwork, but had no intentions of joining the parish. 

Post # 4
3697 posts
Sugar bee

Technically, you actually do have a home parish, even if you’ve never set foot in the church there. A parish is a geographic division of a diocese in much the same way that a county is a division of a state. Your home parish is determined by where you live – whatever parish’s territory you happen to be in, that’s your home parish (and under Canon law, you have a right to access the sacraments there. They may not be thrilled about providing you with the papers if you haven’t been attending Mass, etc., but they have a responsibility to do it and cannot deny you.)

I would figure out what church you live closest to you, call them up and confirm that you’re in their territory, and then talk to the priest and explain the situation. They will be the best people to help you.

Post # 5
59 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

@dodkalm83:  I think you’re dealing with the “Affidavit of Freedom to Marry” paper, which I can scan to you if you PM me, or you can google it.

This document consists of a template; what you need is: 2 people who can testify that you have never been married before (civilly or religiously). These 2 people (preferably family members) need to sign for you in front of your local priest, and the priest will then stamp it and sign (because he is an eye-witness of those 2 people giving testimony of your freedom to marry your future husband).

I’m also celebrating my wedding abroad and have been dealing with 3 countries to gather everything. Ask your mother to get an appointment at the Episcopal Office; they know what to do.

Post # 6
142 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@dodkalm83: If you don’t go to church and don’t Know your home parish, then why do you want to be married in the Catholic Church?

You don’t call “churches” you call your home parish and ask for the form, they will probably not turn you down because this is a normal requirement, but the 6 months time frame is also required. you will have to meet with the priest, he will ask you why you want to marry in the Catholic faith…..

The topic ‘Getting "canonic" papers’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors