(Closed) Getting married 2000 miles from home and not sure where to start…

posted 6 years ago in Destination Weddings
Post # 3
4062 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I’M planning a wedding over 5,000 miles from home, in another country. 

Your best friend will be the Internet. Look through websites, read reviews, talk to former clients, and then just trust. Trust that you are doing the best with what you have.  

Also, use the resources in that town that you have. – FI’s friends and family. Have them do a tasting, see a venue, etc. 

pi have booked a venue, caterer, photographer and make up artist having never met them. My isotonic to be in laws have done tasting’s for us.  

And now I trust. I will do the best with what I have 🙂

Post # 4
9115 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Planned a wedding 1,200 miles from home — Use your family and resources! My parents and my in-laws were the significant bulk of my footwork.

Post # 5
Hostess
7560 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2013

@Glasgowbound:  Here here!

I planned my wedding from another country. Almost everything was online, with one trip to meet with everyone. Have you checked out Wedding Wire for vendor reviews? 

Post # 6
367 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

Also see if New Husband has any places that have all inclusive wedding packages. That way you do not have to search for all of the vendors- just the ones that are important to you.

Post # 7
280 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Yep. We live in San Francisco and are getting married in Philadelphia where I grew up. We had to go to the East coast for something last year and used that opportunity to visit venues. We only looked at ones that had an all-inclusive package where we basically just had to show up. We do have some decorations that I’m going to ship to my dad’s beforehand, but everything else we’ll bring with us on the plane that week. We also flew out in January and scheduled all of our tastings, engagement photos (came with the photog package), meeting with possible officiants, and other things for that weekend. We also skyped with some vendors before choosing them. So far it’s been pretty seamless. 🙂

Post # 8
1070 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

Yep. 2500 miles for me. Hawaii to Inland Empire, CA.

We DEFINITELY can’t afford to go out to CA to see our venue. We saw it once, fell in love, booked it. We’ll probably have one more visit before the wedding. THAT’S IT.

I’m not hiring a coordinator because one comes with my venue’s package! Hooray!! I haven’t started talking to her yet, but I think it might be a good idea to have one contact over there to make sure shit gets done. Even if it’s just one of his family members? Bridesmaid? His grandma?

Post # 9
11270 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

i planned our wedding 5000kms away from another country (in just 5 months).

i agree with pp.  the internet will be your new bff.  research online and email vendors. 

i had one trip back home before the wedding and prior to my visit, i had already narrowed down my venue options to 12 by reviewing all information, location, availability, pricing, etc through websites and emails.  i had set up appointments with all of these venues within the first few days of my visit.  my goal:  i was booking a venue by day 4 of my visit.

i also had appointments already set up for my dress hemming, florist, cake and tuxedos. 

i picked up any craft items that i needed for my diy projects and enough postage stamps for my invites.

it worked out well for my invites.  they were diy.  my father came for a visit about 2.5 months before the wedding and he just took them back home and dropped them in the mailbox for me.  the rsvp’s went to my mother.

the week was very busy but i planned my whole wedding in that week.  you have a lot of time so the key will be to find out what you like and want and then stay focused.  don’t overthink things.

have fun.

Post # 10
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I’ve planned my wedding in Florida via the internet, email and phone. It sounds like you already have your venue which is one of the hardest parts. I agree with the other girls that the Internet (weddingbee, weddingwire, and google/google images) will be your BFF. If you’re a visual person, I would set up a Pinterest board for ideas or something similar and take a lot of pictures of everything including the venue. I will not see my venue until the week of my wedding but a bridesmaid drove to the hotel while vacationing nearby and took “recon” pics for me. 🙂 Luckily WeddingBee is really helpful! Good luck and have fun!!! 

Post # 12
1491 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Internet is your bestest friend ever.  Weddingbee, weddingwire,  the knot reviews of vendors are SO helpful.   Google everything!   

If you are coming out to visit — pack as much into each trip as you can– i choose the venue, rental houses, church, etc on the 1st visit.  2nd visit we did caterer tastings and cake tastings, and 2 hours before we boarded the plane back, mom and I bought my wedding dress!  

Although I will say this— having 3 caterer tastings one after another in one day is a recipe for disaster. We were so stuffed that we could barely eat anything at the other two tastings.  So give yourself some time/space between each tasting… At least a few hours if not a day.  

consider hiring a DOC- day of coordinator.  Its a huge relief to know someone will be there from start to finish to make sure everything goes off without a hitch!

Tackle a few things a time…get the big things squared away first, and then the next few things.  

Good luck!!

Post # 13
1239 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

@NoOneYouExpect:  I am planning my wedding 6000 miles from where I lived and haven’t made a trip beforehand, the wedding is next month.  I have been to the same area but that was quite a few years ago and have not been to the actual resort we are getting married at.  So all the planning has been over the internet with a couple of phone calls.

The topic ‘Getting married 2000 miles from home and not sure where to start…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors