(Closed) Getting married Abroad, How to make it legal?

posted 10 years ago in Beehive
Post # 3
2292 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

You get your marriage certificate from the county clerk, and specifics are different in each state (cost different in each county).  It looks like CA is different than WA – here the marriage license is good for 60 days, and there is a 3-day waiting period.  In CA I don’t see anything about a waiting period, but the license is good for 90 days, and MUST be returned to the county offices within 10 days of the ceremony.  I think that everywhere in the US the license must be notarized.  Here is a CA website that gives requirements.


I would call your county clerks’ office and ask some questions.  I don’t think your officiant in India can necessarily legally sign your CA marriage license – and then I wonder if you would be able to get it notarized and returned in 10 days.  It maybe easier to have a civil ceremony here before you leave or after you return.

The US State Department also has information about marriage of US citizens abroad:


It looks like, in general, a marriage legally recognized in India would be legally recognized here.  Although then you would have to figure out how to get all the appropriate paperwork issued and filed in India, which maybe the Indian Consulate, or some relatives in India could help you with.

The topic ‘Getting married Abroad, How to make it legal?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors