(Closed) Getting Married in June 2013-What Should I Start Working On?

posted 6 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
275 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I would say to definitely start with your church.  June is such a popular month for weddings that those dates start to fill up… fast!!  We started in January of 2011 for our June 2012 date.  Our church already had summer dates start booking.  After your church, I would say to look at venues and photographers/videographers (if you’re having either one). 

Hope this helps!! Happy planning!!! Laughing

Post # 4
2359 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

i would say, decide on a few dates… pick the date you want, but get ready for an alternative date.   The first thing we did was our guest list, we are inviting 100 people.  So we did our first copy of the guest list, then we almost immediately started looking for venues.  It took us a long time before we found the perfect venue in our price range.  and we lost the first date we wanted.  You have lots of time to think about things, and you are for sure going to change your mind about many things as you start planning.  We started planning a year ago in January. 

Decide on your ideal budget now, and when you start searching for venues, make sure you have the money ready to lay a downpayment on it.. or you could risk losing the date you want(like what happened to us).  

Good Luck Though…. Try not to stress too much yet, you have lots of time, and alot of it actually is fun.  🙂

Post # 5
11 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Start looking thru magazines for dresses you like.  I would register online for some of the bridal stores nearby, so I would know when they’ll have a sale or trunk show of my favorite designers.

Post # 6
433 posts
Helper bee

I started planning about a year and a half before when my wedding will be. I’d say the number one things are a rough count for the guest list, a budget, and a venue. I also booked a photographer very early becuase it was important to me. I didn’t book the caterer, DJ, rentals, or get a dress until more like 10 months before. But starting thinking about what look and feel you want since that’ll help you chose a venue.

Post # 7
433 posts
Helper bee

And if you’re having a wedding party, you can definitely let the bridesmaids and groomsmen know as early as you want.

Post # 8
146 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@Emily_Joy:  I’m getting married in may 2013.  If you want a church or specific venue, they’re already boohing up in the Pittsburgh area.  So far, we’ve booked the church, reception and photographer, in that order.  We didn’t get our first choice photographer because she was already under contract.  Also, if you have the money, we foundvendors are happy to negotiate a cash discount.  W paid the photographer in full last week and saved $800.

Post # 9
128 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Definitely start looking at ceremony and reception venues. I was shocked when we starting looking for dates in Summer 2013 (about two months ago) and so many weekends were already booked. Also if you have any vendors you know you want (florist, photographer, etc) book them now too. It can be overwhelming, but its really a fun process to see what your options are! I loved touring the reception sites. 

Post # 10
1306 posts
Bumble bee

I agree with previous posters – choose your venue(s), 1st.  I got engaged May of 2010 and was mildly surprised to learn that ALL the Saturdays of summer 2011 were already booked at my favorite venue!  (I ended up getting married on a Sunday…ended up being cheaper, too…but that’s beside the point…)  I think after the venue I started looking at photographers.

As far as the bridal party, I kind of regret asking all my girls right away (meaning…the day I got engaged…lol).  Unless you have certain bffs/siblings that you know FOR SURE want to be in the bridal party, hold off and really think about who you want standing up for you.  Because after all, you’ll have to look at these people in your wedding pics for the rest of your life! 

Post # 11
79 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Venues first!  Then move to things that only one bride can have at a time, like bands and photographer.  I’d leave say flowers and even cake a bit later because those vendors can take on more clients in a day and you don’t have to worry as much about them booking up!

Post # 12
1917 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I would book your venue, photographer and then caterer first.  The rest can come later.

Post # 13
637 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

I definitely will start on budget first, at least have a rough idea how much you can spend.

and it’s never too early to start guest list, and you will find out there are actually a lot of ppl you need to invite (usually more than intend to :P)

and of coz, start looking at venues.  But you will have to have an idea how many ppl you want to invite. 

As for the dress, you can start looking any time you want, but I suggest don’t order too early as you might change your taste or find another one you love just as much. 

These few things should keep you busy for a while.  🙂

Post # 14
571 posts
Busy bee

I’m getting married June 22, 2013. We have booked the venue, church and photography. Guest list is next. I’d start with a budget, we are paying for the wedding ourselves, so we are trying to get larger ticket items out of the way so we know how much money we will have to spend at around the 10 month mark or so. Good luck planning!

Post # 15
2822 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

I agree with @erinmarie0685 the first thing I’d start with is your budget then you can work on your guest list and narrow down which venues you can afford and which venues can fit the amount of guests you plan on inviting.

Post # 16
1844 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

You have gotten some really great advice already! Ceremony and reception sites definitely fill up fast. For our June 23, 2012 wedding, we booked our ceremony site in November, 2010. I called a photographer shortly after that, and they were already booked for our date. I was upset at the time, but I really love the one we have now and am glad it worked out this way!

I would start making a ton of lists. Start some spreadsheets/lists on your computer if you haven’t already. The budget is huge, as others have said. I don’t know what you and your Fiance will be responsible for, financially, but I really wish we would have started saving earlier. It seemed like such an abstract concept for the longest time.

You can work on your guest list, wedding party gift ideas, possible vendors, dress ideas, favors, all of those little things that add up. It’s really tempting to want to go out and start buying stuff, but your tastes can change.

The other thing I recommend keeping in mind is that no matter how far in advance you plan, something will go wrong, something will stress you out. I thought we’d be good to go, and we’ve hit some bumps in the road lately that have taken their toll on us. Everything will work okay, but there will be some snafus :-).

The topic ‘Getting Married in June 2013-What Should I Start Working On?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors