(Closed) Getting Married in September 2012 – when should I start the REAL planning?

posted 8 years ago in September 2012
Post # 3
9056 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

Doesn’t hurt to get a jump start on researching venues.  If you have your eye on the most popular venue in town a two year engagement might be about right.  I would maybe wait until we click into the 2011 calendar year to start booking other things.  Might take you more seriously if you can say you’re getting married “next year”.

Post # 4
2634 posts
Sugar bee

I’d start booking things summer of next year, but hold off on any “real” planning (i.e. detail stuff) until next September (that way you don’t change your mind a billion times like I did!).

Post # 5
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

I second the waiting to book until next summer. Research is always smart, though! Then you’ll have less to do when it comes time to finalize plans, and it’ll get some of the inevitable “chenging your mind” creative processes out of the way. Congrats!

Post # 7
285 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

it took me a few months to find the perfect venue, i started looking this april and am just now signing the contract for my sept 2011 wedding…although we were trying to get married earlier the venue was not available so we had to push the date back…most of my friends that have recently gotten married have said that a year out you should be booking a venue (especially if it’s apopular wedding month) then get caterer, go dress shopping and photographer…those are the big things in my book and i’m picky so i need lots of time to consider all options…

Post # 8
3316 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

We got engaged 14 months before our October 2009 wedding.  We booked the ceremony and reception venues, and the officiant, within the first few days.  In our view, almost everything else about the wedding–vendors, food, decorations, dresses, etc.–was going to depend on where and when we were having the wedding.  Thus, we wanted those choices nailed down as soon as possible.

Everything else was done at a much more leisurely pace.  For example, we didn’t book our photographer until seven months before the wedding.

Of course, my son got engaged last March.  They plan to get married in March 20111 but have yet even to look at a venue as far as I can see.  Ah, well, I’ve told them they may lose out on venues that way.  At this point, it’s their look-out.

Post # 9
5263 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

It really depends on your area, if you’ll change your mind, etc. We’re about to sign with our venue for our June 2012 wedding, and I’m glad we are – not only are we getting this year’s rate, but a lot of the popular venues around here book up much earlier than you’d think  for popular wedding months (1 1/2 or more years in advance.) 

I’m holding off on anything more than inspiration gathering for the nitty gritty, though we do talk about it for fun and we have an idea of what we’d like to do, we’re leaving ourselves room to change our minds. 

Post # 10
221 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I have started visiting and venues and apparently they have started getting bookings already! I thought I was sooo ahead of the game! Apparently in Jersey, September is the new HOT month to married in! Who knew! Not me! eeekkksss! So we’re looking to book our venue in the next few weeks, so we have a choice of venues. Then we’ll likely not do much more for at least  6 months, then start looking at photographers and DJ’s and such. 

Post # 11
824 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011 - The Tribute Golf Club

I think it’s good to start looking at venues now, but maybe not book until next year.  We had a long engagement (25 months) but booked the venue in June 2009 for our April 2011 wedding.  It ended up being great for us because they allowed us to lock in prices (which have gone up since).

Detail stuff I probably wouldn’t start until later next year.  Happy Planning!

Post # 12
1995 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Definitely a venue comes first – thus leading to a date depending on what they have or what you want.

We tried to book a lot of stuff early (11 months or so) and some people didn’t take us seriously.  I was confused and insulted that we were just trying to get ahead of things.  They made it sound like we’d obviously change our mind between then and the wedding so come back in 4 months.  umm NO.  We did not change our mind and didn’t waste anyone’s time.

Don’t let anyone tell you when to do things.  People book up years in advance so if its what you want just go for it!

Post # 13
221 posts
Helper bee

That’s true.. I worry a lot that I might change my mind as to the venue. Maybe we will hold off a bit

Post # 14
2402 posts
Buzzing bee

I would start looking around at venues, and if you fall in love with a place, I don’t see any harm in booking it. We just booked our venue and we’re not getting married until August 2012. We’re now locked into the 2011 pricing, which is always a plus.

Post # 15
67 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

We already booked our venue for Sept 22, 2012, and the 2 saturdays before us were already booked! If you are unsure what you want, don’t rush into it, but if you know what venue you want, book soon so as not to regret it later. The timing really depends on your area and your venue, some book earlier than others.

Post # 16
284 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

Don’t let the 2-year wait stop you with items such as venue and photographer.  My finacé and I are meeting with our photographer in a couple weeks to book.  When we first contacted the company we were suprised to find out that they were already booked for the weekend in september we wanted!  I thought I was ahead of the game, but guess not!  Luckily, we were able to change the date to accomodate the photographer (the wedding will be at my parents house).  Good luck! 🙂

The topic ‘Getting Married in September 2012 – when should I start the REAL planning?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors