- 4 years ago
- Wedding: October 2013
1. Generally what I receommend and do is to take everything out of the room (ah! the mess! I know). This helps bc you won’t want it all sitting in your hall and will be more likely to get cracking on it.
2. Then start sorting through. I always hear of people using “Toss” “donate” & “keep” boxes. Do this. It helps! Usually my goal is to toss/donate aan equal amount of things I keep. Sometimes I keep track with tally marks in a notepad (bc I have ocd apparently)
3. THe keep piles I sort into items that are alike. My piles usually consist of:
– sentimental crap (limited to 1 shoebox)
– work stuff
– scrabooking (or whatever hobby you might have)
– holiday items
– seasonal items
– office items
– craft items
– important papers
Obviously there are more categories, this is just to get you started!
4. I sort little items into shoe boxes that I mentally label
a. “put away immediately” scrunchies, nail polish, movies (things that have a clear home)
b. “important things I shouldnt lose” ipad, bills, phone chargers, etc
5. Once I have al my “piles” I figure out how much space they will need and then get storage containers for them. I like to use smallish containers so I can find things more easily.
Things don’t stay in the shoe boxes, either, when I get bored I get up and go put those items away. The second shoe box, the important stuffone, is often teh hardest for me…