- 6 years ago
- Wedding: October 2012
I posted this over in the DIY boards but thought I’d share here too, the “How To” for the adorbs Valentine gift I made my fiance:
8 x 8 in. canvas square from Michaels ($10)
Acrylic paint (I used “Folk Art” brand [$.89 ea.] in gray and red)
Mod Podge (I used Matte as opposed to Gloss finish)
Old Road Maps (I used Michigan & Florida ones from an old atlas. Who uses these anymore anyway now that we have iPhones!)
1. Paint canvas with two coats of acrylic paint. (I used gray as it’s one of our wedding colors and the more manlier of the two.)
2. Download the man & woman figures from here: http://www.clker.com/clipart-29725.html (I used the PNG HI so the image and resolution was larger)
3. Centering the cities on the figures, either trace then cut out or tape down and cut out. (I recommend using smaller scissors to get those in-between arms and legs crevices.)
4. Cut out heart. I just used the shape tool in Microsoft Word to create a heart and printed it out to use.
5. Mod Podge the back of the man, woman, and heart and place on canvas. Mod Podge the fronts to seal.
6. Outline the heart with acrylic, I did it first in yellow (our corresponding wedding color) but decided red would look better.
7. Paint entire canvas with another layer of Mod Podge to finish.
Voila! The perfect gift for the LDR couple! When the fiance and I met I was living in Orlando, FL and he in Lansing, MI; we are getting married in Grand Rapids, MI (heart).
PM me if you have any questions with the process. The whole thing took less than 2 hours to make.