- 6 years ago
- Wedding: February 2013 - Colonial Country Club, Ft. Myers, FL
A little backstory….
My dad has a Girlfriend that lives with him. We know nothing about her because she refuses to talk about herself or her family. She is a golddigger and she’s lazy. She doesn’t do anything. My dad is 65 years old with a bum leg and he literally does EVERYTHING, including cutting up her food on her plate.
She ignores us when we come over (she doesn’t even greet us, or anything). She didn’t even congratulate us on the engagement, she just sat there.
Those are just a few of the issues! SO fast forward to Christmas:
Girlfriend hands me a box. She said “its an engagement gift”. I open it to find a real pearl necklace. I was shocked and surprised and honestly didn’t know what to say. I did say it was beautiful and I thanked her and was very nice about it.
She then said, “Well, its something for you to wear on your wedding day”. Then she proceeded to brag about how expensive it was. I asked my dad if he knew about this and he said she told him about it after she ordered it.
At that point, I said “I don’t know, maybe.” I have a few dilemmas…
1. I HATE pearls. Its my birthstone and they was forcefully thrust upon me as a child, and ever since, I loathe them. Everyone in my family knows this.
2. I havn’t even been dress shopping yet. I don’t know how their going to look with whatever dress I pick.
3. I don’t like being told by someone I really don’t trust or like telling me what I should wear on my wedding day. Yes, it was a very lovely present and a nice gesture, but I feel like I’m going to be forced into wearing them.
4. I was planning on asking to borrow a vintage piece from FI’s grandmother to wear around my neck as my something borrowed, but now I don’t know what to do.
Fiance said I should wear them for the bridal shower or engagement party, and then I can incorporate them in the vintage trunk we’re using for our wedding card box (its going to have long white gloves, some lace, a perfume bottle, opera glasses and other vintage accessorries peeking out of it.)
I really like the idea, but I’m worried if I don’t wear them on my wedding day, she’s gonna start bitching and moaning about it, or worse, my dad will.
Yes, I know I’m biased because I hate her, and whether or not I like pearls, I’m hesitant to wear them. What do you girls think I should do?