(Closed) Give me the 411 on IVF Please!

posted 6 years ago in TTC
Post # 3
2538 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

@wifegoodman:  I will try to give you a short summary of IVF.

IVF is in vitro fertilization.  You take meds to stimulate your ovaries to make more eggs than normal.  Then they retrieve the eggs and mix them with your husband’s sperm (or inject one sperm into each egg).  They let the embryos grow for a few days, then they put them back inside of you.  If they have any leftover, they freeze them.  If the IVF doesn’t work, you can do a FET, a frozen embryo transfer.

You need to see and RE (reproductive endocrinologist).  There are meds that can help with your PCOS (often Metformin) and help you to ovulate (Clomid is usually first, then injectible meds).  

Ovulation kits can be extremely frustrating for someone that is not ovulated (and expensive!).  I would push hard to get a referral to an RE now. 

Good luck and join some of the boards, everyone is very helpful!

Post # 5
Bee
6473 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011 - Sydney, Australia

@wifegoodman:  Mrs GG said it all – but I think you’re well within your rights to go and get things checked out. Metformin works for se women, but not all – we all respond differently to the medication. Good luck!

Post # 6
186 posts
Blushing bee

I would work with an RE. If your ovaries are that enlarged, they are going to want to work with you before they start stimulating meds for you to ovulate. I currently have a cyst the size of a golf ball and they are making me wait a month. They put me on birth control for a couple weeks to help shrink the cyst. An RE’s #1 goal is to get you pregnant. They know everything (I put my RE on a pedestol haha). I would get a referall ASAP because sometimes it takes a long time to get in, and they will require a lot of work up testing. 

Post # 7
177 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Fellow PCOS’er here. I’ve been on Metformin for about a month prescribed by my gyno. She recently referred me to an RE based on my LH:FSH ratio being off. I assume he will start me on Clomid due to me not ovulating. I suggest you see an RE before coming to any conclusions. Best of luck!

Post # 10
2550 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

This week is National Infertility Awareness Week.  Tons of info on resolve.org.

Post # 12
130 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

This was useful thank you!

The topic ‘Give me the 411 on IVF Please!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors