Post # 1
Hello bees. I am lucky enough to have been off work for 20 weeks after having my baby in June. I’m supposed to go back exactly a week from today, and the thought of working again and taking my baby to day care is giving me anxiety to the point of tears. It doesn’t help that when trying to get in touch with my boss to tell him I’m coming back, I found out he retired out of the blue and now I report to someone else. I don’t particularly enjoy my job either. Have any other mom-bees experienced this anxiety? Any tips on how to get through it? Thanks
Post # 2
It’s hard but gets easier.
1) do some hours at the daycare this week if possible. Spend time there, then leave baby there while you go run some errands. It will make you more comfortable.
2) Do whatever daycare prep you can this week. Dropping off supplies, etc, because day 1 will likely feel hectic.
3) You will cry. That is totally normal and okay. Baby might cry too, but you will definitely do the lion’s share of crying. Baby will be okay.
4) day 1 back won’t be as bad as you think. Everyone will be happy to see you and you will spend lots of time showing off baby photos and talking about the baby. I thought I would cry all day, but it was much more fun to be back than I expected.
5) The new boss part is tricky, but try to think of it as an opportunity. You can plan ahead what you want to talk about. Sell yourself, what you’ve worked on, and what you hope to work on next.
Good luck Bee! Remember there is lots of research showing working moms are good for kids. All will be OK!
Post # 3
That is excellent advice, thank you! I visited the day care last week and met with the teacher. I will go back again this week. I just need to keep telling myself that everything will be fine! I will just miss being home with my little bean so much, but it will be good to get into a routine again.
Post # 4
I had so much anxiety when I took my son to daycare at 12 weeks. Honestly it was the BEST decision for us. He is very well socialized and happy there. I wasn’t that excited to actually go back to work but find that I am a better mom when I have some time apart from him.
He’s almost 3 now and I talk with my BFF all the time about how happy I am that this is our path.
It will be hard at first but it will be great!