Post # 1
I’ll be going off the pill (I think normal pill not mini pill- levora/portia) for the first time in more than 6 years. Pre-pill, I was a zitty, bleeds like the plague, crazy cycle lady. I dealt with that hell for 2-3 years and then went on the pill. I never missed a pill in all of 6 years. But now my Fiance is getting the snip, so I don’t need it’s awesome baby-fighting skillz. But it leaves me with loads of questions, since I’ve been on it longer than I haven’t.
- Well, delicately, will it be a scene from Carrie? Will the bloodgates reopen, never to be a light month again?
- Mood swings going off BC? Y/n?
- Random-ass cycle?
- Other experiences anyone has ever had- share ’em.
I may try to stay on BC a few extra months just to regulate so I don’t have a honeymoon timing misfortune and also so that I can talk with my gyno about side effects. Regardless, I want some personal experience stories! =) Thanks
Post # 3
I was on the pill well (over a decade) before I was sexually active. If you have issues you could just stay on it. Not saying you should or shouldn’t, but it is a possibility.
Post # 4
@AB Bride: Did you stop using the pill? What were the side effects if you do? It seems like a waste of money to stay on it if I can easily manage the side effects. I’m just asking whahave an expect.
Post # 5
No, for me it’s primary purpose is to avoid all the issues I have that go along with mensturation. The fact that it prevents pregnancy is a great added bonus.
Right now with my insurance and DH’s it’s 100% free (unless you count the fact that I pay for my health plan and we pay taxes). Before DH’s job I think it was about $9/month. For me I would pay beyond that for all the issues it prevents.
Post # 6
Well, this is my 2nd cycle post BCP. Same symptoms as you pre-BCP. I can tell you that my 1st “natural” period (so, not the one right after you finish the pack, but the next one…oh jeez it’s Friday and my verbiage is horrible…) wasn’t bad at all!!! It was 2 days of medium flow, 1 day of light flow, and 2 days of very, very light spotting. Pre-BCP I could soak a super-plus tampon in 2 hours. (umm, tmi?)
My cycle was 27 days. I haven’t really noticed any major mood swings. Oilier skin, that’s for sure, but I haven’t experiences a resurgence of acne (thank goodness!)
Now, not sure what to expect this month. That’s my experience.
Post # 7
Experienced. Gah, told you, it’s Friday, I can’t type…
ETA: I was on the pill for 7 years.
Post # 8
I started this thread a few weeks ago and got some GREAT advice and stories from other bees having the quitting-BC-experience.
It was really bad during my first cycle (see my first post on that thread, ugh), but I’m pleased to say that things are improving!
Post # 9
I was on for a decade. I’ve only been off for one cycle but it wasn’t a big deal. I had no spotting, my period wasn’t any heavier or longer than usual, and my period came about five days later than it would’ve on the pill. I am due for my next period in a week or so here, but we’ll see if it comes.
I wasn’t moody but I had the WORST hot flashes for two weeks. Thank god they let up.
Post # 10
I was on BCP for 11+ years and had freakish horror movie visits from AF prior to going on. Here’s how my experience has been:
- AF: I have been off BCP for 12 months, and AF *just* returned to “normal” last month (I had a laparscopy last month, so think that is the reason I had a “normal” AF). All of my post-BCP periods were super, super light (more like 2-3 days of heavy spotting than AF).
- Fertility (although it doesn’t sound like you will be worried about this): I O’ed right off of BCP (I know this is extremely lucky – although that doesn’t sound like it will be an issue for you since you aren’t going off BCP to TTC), but it is pretty common for your cycles to be wacky off of BCP.
- Cycle lenth: Has been extremely consistent, although I have a 30-32 day cycle off BCP (rather than the 28 days on).
- Mood: My favorite thing about being off BCP is that I no longer get PMS (like, AT ALL) and I no longer feel like my emotions are being controlled.
- Annoyances: My face has broken out a little bit since going off BCP, but other no than that, no real problems – no headaches, weight gain, etc.
Post # 11
I don’t think my experience was typical at all but I’ll share it anyway. I was on BC for a little over five years. Before I went on, I would sometimes have crazy long periods (and I would assume long cycles) and I even went once without a period for a few months. I also got horrible cramps and had horrible acne. The first BC I was on took away my cramps and my acne and made my period only last a few days a month for a while but then my period was going for about five or so days. Due to other side effects, I switched. My acne came back a bit and my periods were definitely around five to six days.
I went off last August. Until the point when I got pregnant, my periods were super light three day periods and I had a clockwork 28 day cycle. This went on for about three months so I don’t know if they would have gotten heavier but it was so nice being more regular than I was before or on birth control.
Post # 12
I was on BC for 10 years, originally to control weird periods (sometimes I’d have one every three weeks and other times it would be months in between) as well as to reduce bleeding (I was getting anemic) and severe cramping. I went off almost two months ago and have had one cycle and another coming soon. The biggest differences I have noticed is my mood– I posted this in another thread, but it feels like everything is more exciting, the air tastes better, and in the same breath sad things are devestating and scary things are horrifying.
As for your questions:
1. My first period was incredible. Lots of information here, but I went from a ultra light tampon to heavy. It effing hurt.
2. My mood swings exist, but not horribly. I do feel things a lot more, so my moods are slightly different.
3. So far my cycle has been the same as when I was on my pills, but I know your cycle will adjust to people you are around a lot/live with.
4. Be prepared for skin and hair changes (no more combination skin and less acne, also my hair isn’t as greasy), extreme cramping during your period and less food cravings.
Post # 13
@sweetcrackers: Thank you do much! I must have just missed that thread.
I’m still glad I posted since a lot of the other bees are going off hormonal BC to conceive, so they have the cloud of “It’s worth it for a baby!” even if it sucks to get off BC, whereas I cannnn (but don’t want to) go back on BC. It would be nice to have my sex drive back to 100% after 6 years of 75-80%
Post # 14
@SecretSharpie: Even though I did go off BCP to TTC, I swear being off is 1000x better than being on… if only for the returned drive alone! But I have had a great experience being off in terms of the things that are worrying you.
Post # 15
@septcabride: I couldn’t agree more! I’ve been on/off the pill for over half my life, and just got off of it to start TTC. So far, I’ve had no negative side effects, nor have I had any in the past. That being said, that could be just me, but I really think it varies from person to person.
Post # 16
Thanks for all the advice/stories. Sounds like I’m going to need to invest in some serious cleanser and a case of midol haha.
I added a poll. Let me know if it makes sense/needs more answers. =] Happy Friday!