Post # 16
- Wedding: December 2017 - Courthouse
ckee7777 : Early congrats to you guys!
And I was in the same boat as you. My then boyfriend said he wanted to start looking at rings. Here are things I wish before I started looking:
- Keep an open mind. You never know what kind of ring you’ll like or what size/color/metal. So I would recommend trying on a LOT so you know for sure what you want.
- Rings are expensive so keep an open mind with pricing. It sounds like you’ve done your research and you already know this.
- Put your foot down to Sales Reps at jewelry stores. I don’t know how old you are but I look like I’m about 16. No one listened to me when I said what I wanted and constantly told me I wasn’t looking at “nice enough” rings.
- Shop around! I went to stores in the mall, nicer brick and morter stores, vintage shops, etc. It’s good to see pricing and variety.
- Tell your boyfriend exactly what you like and don’t like. Don’t feel bad saying ” I do not like this ring” or “I do not like this stone”. It just helps narrow everything down!
I hope this all helps! I thought I wanted an emerald center stone. I was thinking emerald cut or pear shaped. I ended up with an oval sapphire lol.
Post # 17
Hello! So we kinda picked one out together. Long story short I fell in love with a ring I saw on Pinterest. He’d known for years that this was the one I really liked and it’s the only ring we agree on… we have different taste. Time goes by and we start really talking about getting engaged. He wants to make it happen but unfortunately the ring is more expensive than we’d planned. After some time + talking about it he decided he wanted to get me “the ring” but we needed to figure out a way to save money. We are saving $1000 by getting the diamond from a different store than the custom setting is from. We picked out the diamond together in person and I’ve only seen the actual ring online since it’s from a different state. As we worked with the custom jeweler to make sure this was even possible I was kept in the loop… we were both freaked out about mailing a diamond so he let me know when it got there. I’ve seen the wax model since the ring is non-refundable and that was our only chance to make sure it’s what we wanted. After he told them to make the ring we were given a vague time frame of when the ring will be done. From here on out I won’t know any further info on the progress of the ring. I told him to make sure to send it to his parent’s house so I won’t know it’s here(; While it’s not traditional at all I’m so freaking excited to be getting engaged to the man of my dreams soon & that I have an amazing partner who insisted that I get the ring that I wanted… and a bigger diamond than I would’ve ever picked for myself. Best of luck! Ring shopping together can be super fun(: Just know there’ll always be people that think it’s “weird” but to each their own!