(Closed) Going to Canada – different last name on passport & drivers license, help

posted 5 years ago in Travel
Post # 3
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I haven’t been to Canada in a long time but when we went to Europe earlier this year we only had passports and not licenses. Are either of you planning to drive over there?

Post # 4
5662 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

You’ll be fine. The only piece of id they need is your passport. DO Bring your license as you said, just in case. There is no requirement that says your passport and license have to match. Your passport is still a legal and valid document. I’m flying to Europe on a mismatch, and I’ve found nothing that says I shouldn’t.

Post # 5
3697 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@X0JLYNN03:  Bring all that just in case, but to cross you only need the passport.  It’s really no big deal, swear. 

Don’t forget to stop at Duty Free on your way back!  The people who work there are usually cool and they’ll tell you exactly what you can legally bring back and what you can probably get away with.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 6
11752 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

@X0JLYNN03:  Per the US passport website, you must travel with your current legal name.  I’m guessing it probably won’t be an issue since you only need to show your passport as ID, but you never know.  I’d definitely bring your ID and marriage license with you just in case though.

Post # 7
12003 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2014

@X0JLYNN03:  I’ve only ever had to show my passport crossing the border. 

Post # 8
1226 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@X0JLYNN03:  You only need your passport. But I second MrsWBS on bringing your license and marriage certificate just in case. Better safe than sorry!

Post # 9
487 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

@X0JLYNN03:  I personally would recommend bringing a copy of your marriage license.  When I used to work for Service Canada (we assisted with issuing passports) we were told from the Canadian Border Service Agency (CBSA) to always advise people to bring a copy of their marriage certificate with them if they are travelling internationally if their other ID (drivers license, citizenship, OHIP etc) had their married last name on it.  Odds are you won’t need the marriage license but its better to be safe than sorry, if you have any issues crossing the border, which I doubt you will you’ll have a harder time when we pass over a second piece of idea with a different last name on it.

I’ve gone to the states a few times with friends and we’ve had the US border services ask us for a second piece of ID, I’m not sure if that’s because a couple of my friends were born outside of Canada but we usually had to show a drivers license as well.

Post # 10
1088 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Last time I went, I showed my passport only!!  I mean, better safe, but you shodln’t need to get he other documents out. 

Post # 11
3830 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

you should be fine.  We Canadians are happy to have you visit. Just show your passport. 

Post # 12
10453 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2014

Just your passport should be fine. I’ve never actually driven across the border but that’s all they ask when you fly across so I imagine it’s the same. 

Post # 14
167 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

All you need is a passport, a friend once got through without even that once… her dad was grabbing all the family’s passports before leaving and grabbed his expired and renewed instead of grabbing my friends.

Post # 15
9682 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@X0JLYNN03:  Just bring your marriage license and you will be fine.

The topic ‘Going to Canada – different last name on passport & drivers license, help’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors