(Closed) Got to Lose weight/100 days to go til wedding

posted 10 years ago in Fitness
Post # 3
398 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2009

While I can not speak to anything you are doing some things I have been doing for my Feb 09 wedding is a food journal. I write down everything I eat and drink, plus I plan everything that I eas so I know in advance what I am eating that day.  Can’t eat what I don’t have! 🙂

Since I live in a cold environment, I have moved my activities inside.  I currently use Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred and add an additional cardio video 3 times a week.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck!

Post # 4
129 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

I am certainly no expert on the topic, but what about workout videos? 

My girlfriends and I have had some success with them, and they are cheap (or free! if your library has them).

I like 8 minute abs, buns, arms and legs. I think I paid $10 at Target for all four videos. It’s a small investment and the variety of exercises keeps it exciting. The "Silk" kickboxing video has kicked my butt more than a few times.

Also, pilates videos are less impact and they build muscles gently — you’ll do low-impact stuff and feel the burn the next day, but you usually won’t find yourself out of breath while doing it!

Another non-exercise idea — add more oil to your diet, as well as a robust supplement/vitamin regimen. Many "diet" books I’ve read have recommended it and I lost 15 pounds in 3 months by increasing olive oil and following French Women Don’t Get Fat principles (eat what you want in moderation, eat slowly) — and I didn’t exercise at that point.

Take vitamins daily, add fish-oil supplements (I take the gummy ones). I hear prenatals are fab for hair and nails, but I’m not in a place to recommend them. 

Post # 5
342 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

Another resource you could tap into is SparkPeople.com.  They have tons of ideas and resources for weight loss – even online workout videos and online exercise/diet tracking!  Good luck!!!!

Post # 6
81 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

Gotta love Pilates!  It’s the only workout I’ve done that is very low impact, but your muscles work overtime.  I do a Pilates video three times a week in my living room for 20 minutes before I get ready for work.  Jillian Michael’s 30-day Shred is a buttkicker, but it makes you feel like you’re really accomplishing something! 

Also, although you eat 2000 calories a day (which is average for weight maintainence), you’re not really burning any of that energy if you’re not exercising.  Thus you maintain your current weight.  Adding exercise or lowering your calorie intake (at a safe level of course) will help drop lbs.  If you combine exercise and lower your calorie intake, you’ll probably find it easier to lose unwanted weight.  A safe goal is to lose about 1.2 lbs. per week for your body size.  Try myfooddiary.com, it tracks your food intake, exercise, and gives tips and advice on how to change your habits for a more healthy lifestyle.  I have so much more evergy since I started using it, and I’ve lost 6 lbs. in 5 weeks.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!  That’s the great thing about this site…built-in support!  🙂

Post # 7
50 posts
Worker bee

I’m another lazy exercise person…just out of curiosity, with all those diet pills out there, do they work? Are they safe?

Post # 8
117 posts
Blushing bee

oy I totally feel you on the bad knee and the lack of exercise.  the thing that has ALWAYS worked for me is a keeping a food journal.   We highly underestimate the calories we eat each day.  If you write down EVERYTHING you eat, (including condiments and tiny snacks), you’de be surprised how many calories you’re consuming.  A great website to help you figure out how many calories you should be eating and helps you keep track of them all is http://caloriecount.about.com/.   You creat a profile and enter your stats and your life style and the websites suggests how many calories you should be consuming to lose weight by a specific weight. They have a huge database of foods that you can selec to add to your food journal and it’s overall very easy.

Also I’ve had great success with workout tapes, especially kickboxing, (billy blanks or beachbodies).  They’re cheap and easy on the knees and they make you sweat!  Cardio is the most important thing for you because that’s what causes overall weightloss.  situps are nice but even if you have tons of stomach muscles they won’t be visible if you have fat over the stomach.  I’m only saying this with the outmost desire to help seeing as I’ve definitely been in your situation.  I wish you the best of luck.  you can do it!.  If you have any question feel free to message me. 

Post # 9
2000 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

I lost about 40 pounds between March and July 2007 using Weight Watchers Online. It cost me only $17 a month (versus $13 a week for meetings). I found it easy to follow and to use. Hope that helps! 

Post # 10
1276 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

Hi,

I’m not an expert on this, but from what you’ve described it sounds like the weight you’ve gained is probably some extra stress-relatd fat.  You say you eat healthy (veggies and fruits), but it may be that your metabolism would do better with a higher protein diet.  If you’re not doing a lot of aerobic excercise, then the carbs you’re eating (even fruit and veggie carbs) are probably being converted to fat instead of burned.  You definitely do not want to cut out all carbs or go on a starvation diet, but I would suggest bumping up your lean protein consumption (egg whites, lean chicken, white fish, etc).  If you’re vegetarian this will be harder, but I would suggest upping the lentil intake.  On such a diet, I suspect you’ll also feel full quicker and be able to reduce your caloric intake (though I second the notion that it shouldn’t be by too much, but at your height/weight I think 1700calories would still be safe…try googling ‘maintenance caloric intake’ to find a good calculator).  To be clear, I’m defnitely not advocating an extreme starvation diet, just something to make you a bit leaner before your wedding.  Personally, I’d cut out most fruits and limit myself to whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat) etc, but that’s a personal decision.  You definitely want to continue with the strength training and keep up your protein intake as it’s important to build muscle or you’ll gain it all back when you reintroduce foods into your diet.  Though in general if you’re drastically increasing protein I would definitely say it should be lean, I’m guessing you don’t already eat a lot of fat so you probably don’t need to be too careful there.  The main thing is you should not be feeling hungry or tired all the time…if you are the diet is *not* healthy.  Overall 20-30 pounds is a lot to lose so I’d recommend talking to a doctor and/or nutritionist, but what I’ve described above is sort of an atheletic "training" diet which isn’t too extreme and so should still be pretty healthy. 

Post # 11
735 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2009

Definitely a popular topic on the weddingbbe boards! If you look at yesterdays posts, you’ll see two more!

For me, I’m a freak about lean cuisines and special K, soudns stupid but it worked fo rme!

Also, Jillians 30-day Shred is AWESOME. I heard about it here, and love it! its only a 20 minute work out but it KICKS YOUR ASS. its only like $15.

Post # 12
619 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I am all about eating healthy and exercise to lose weight and maintain. Sit ups will add muscle, but not help you lose weight, cardio is needed for that. Push-ups are a good idea. But what I’d suggest more than anything is to go on Weigh Watchers as someone else mentioned. It really really worked with my sister! Also, get a gf to help motivate you and walk with you or do exercise tapes with you. Good luck! Remember YOU CAN DO IT!

Post # 13
17 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 2009

I have a friend who is 5’2" and she lost weight for her wedding but didn’t exercize her arms.  She did not look skinnier.  This about what you see in a wedding dress….face, neck, arms.  This isn’t spring break.  Eat a balanced diet and do exercizes for toned arms.  People will notice the arms, not the abs.

Post # 14
24 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2009

I definitely second sparkpeople, it has been incredibly helpful for me.  I highly recommend using sparkpeople to track you calories.  Using sparkpeople, I try to stay aroun 1200-1300 calories, do 30-day shred and cardio and it’s made a difference. Also, just a couple of tricks that have worked for me, lots of water, limited carbs at night, early dinner and working out!

Post # 15
40 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2009

"Drink 8 glasses of water each day" is what we hear all the time but what weight loss benefits do we get from drinking water? Can anyone answer my question please?

Post # 16
152 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

I like what Lucyyoutoo said.. it’s true, face, arm, neck… sadly for me… i’m top heavy, cone shaped… even at my skinniest, my arms, face aren’t that thin.. 🙁

Water, lots of it

Small portioned meals every 3 hrs 

Limit calories but ensure you get your protein

Exercise… cardio and strength training.

Don’t get frustrated… remember its a marathon not a sprint

I use sparkpeople too, it does help. 

The topic ‘Got to Lose weight/100 days to go til wedding’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors