(Closed) Great Gatsby/ art deco/1920s theme HELP!

posted 5 years ago in Themes
Post # 16
43 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2014 - The Wayside Inn

So glad I found this thread! We’re doing an art deco-inspired (although not really themed) wedding. (I have to admit that I cringe every time someone calls our wedding a ‘Gatsby wedding’ because… well, you know how the book ends, right?)

The most helpful thing I did was check some books out of the library on Art Deco design history. This really helped expand my ideas outside of what I’ve seen other couples already do on blogs and Pinterest! Art Deco designs have been popular since the 20’s, so it’s possible to find authentic vintage art deco items that date to the 30’s, 40’s, and 50’s for less than 1920’s items that still provide a unique touch. 

Our colors are similar to yours, FlapperGal! Fig, Bronze, and Silver.

My dress is 1930’s vintage with some art deco details. It was an absoltue steal, but the altarations are going to cost about $1000, so factor that in if you look for vintage dresses!

We’re using vintage and antique bottles as our centerpieces (many with art deco designs, although these are harder to find) but I’m still stuck on how to otherwise dress up the plain white linens provided by our venue. So thanks for the ideas, ladies!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by  runlolarun.
Post # 17
367 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

For a 1920’s theme, have you thought about going with an actual wedding dress from the 1920’s? There are are several on Ebay right now and they are all very reasonably priced, the dresses picked out in this thread are great but they look more 1930s then 1920s. Most wedding dresses in the 1920’s had lace andd silk, but most if none were not heavily beaded. 

Post # 18
183 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Mfrouhar:  I just threw my sister a Great Gatsby Bridal Shower not too long ago. We pratically DIY’ed everything ourselves. 

<br /><br />

Post # 20
3 posts
Wannabee

YEAH!!!! I’m so glad I came across this post! I’m getting married in March and I am also planning a 1920’s/old hollywood/ great gatsby theme wedding. My colors are navy blue, silver and touches of blush pink. I am searching for navy blue sequin wedding gowns. Could any of you ladies help with this?  Thank You!!!

Post # 21
377 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2016

Mfrouhar:  I’m planning an Art Deco wedding too my dress has tulle fans as the skirt. On your pin interest the dress labelled #DearTopshop is actually Karen Millen as worn in mint by Nicole Scherzinger!

Post # 22
412 posts
Helper bee
Post # 24
377 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2016

Mfrouhar: sure no probs

Post # 25
3 posts
Wannabee

Completely in love with these shoes ….not in love with the price!!! Does anyone else know where I could find something similar? 

Bridal Shoes

Post # 27
984 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

Hey ladies! I’m also going for a slightly art deco themed wedding.

Our colors are vintage blues… pretty much every shade of blue, but most of the decor will be vintage bottles (cobalt, the aqua-ish color blue, milk glass, mercury glass)

My dress is “light gold” and we are adding beading too it, possible blue, maybe silver, maybe gold, I haven’t decided yet.

Here are some pics of things I have (i have all the bottles scattered around my house lol)

Milk glass

Bottles.

Our venue has really cheap ugly chairs, so we’re going to wrap them in lace like this:

Alternative | Stylish Wedding Chair: Ideas + Inspirations - Want That Wedding | Unique Wedding Ideas & Inspiration Blog

We are going to probably DIY invitations and all papergoods, but inspiration is coming from these mainly

I like the scrolls around the borders. [[ Wedding Invitations Art Deco Nouveau by sweetinvitationco on Etsy, $100.00 ]]

So many awesome invitations, LOVE this font and style

Great Gatsby Wedding Invitation set - 20's wedding by {MOOI} weddings on ETSY

Post # 28
984 posts
Busy bee

My ring is a replica of a 1920’s ring I fell in love with that sold before we were at the engagement stage…

and here is my dress and the inspiration for beading i’m going off of…

I bought a really pretty applique today but I have no idea if i’ll actually use it or not

0060 Aurora Borealis Crystal AB Bodice Sequin Beaded Applique

this is my headpiece

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/1a/30/a0/1a30a0a4ef06ce7918ea3ffb58903c00.jpg

Post # 29
984 posts
Busy bee

I’m not having many flowers throughout the reception, though they will probably be scattered a bit in some bottles/vases. The bottles/vases are the main part though… and some feathers and pearls!

These are the flowers I’ve ordered to make my bouquet

Sola flowers

I intend to incorporate brooches and pearls in the bouquet as well similar to this:

Vintage wedding bouquet -- a glamorous combination of draped pearls, sparkling brooches, pearl flowers, sola flowers, velvet leaves, fresh roses, dusty miller, and seeded eucalyptus

and I really want to do something to the ceiling because right now it’s just a bare banquet hall and though it’s nice, it’s not the vibe I want… I want to do something like this

Waterside South African Wedding.  Love the lights and ribbon treatments.  So pretty!Okay that’s probably enough for now lol

Post # 30
984 posts
Busy bee

Mfrouhar:  where did you find that bridesmaids dress?

The topic ‘Great Gatsby/ art deco/1920s theme HELP!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors