(Closed) Greeting guests….when & where….HELP!

posted 9 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: When and where to greet guests?
    Receiving Line after ceremony : (6 votes)
    27 %
    Walk to each table at dinner : (14 votes)
    64 %
    Other...please specify : (2 votes)
    9 %
  • Post # 3
    4485 posts
    Honey bee

I went to a wedding awhile back where the couple dismissed the rows at the end of the ceremony and greeted the guests there. The guests at the wedding said they liked how it was done. I thought it was a great idea. That way you still get to see everyone and you don’t cut into your eating time, which everyone says the couple doesn’t get at all even with the best planning.

Post # 4
    4382 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2010 - Ceremony - First United Methodist Church; Reception - My parents' house!

I’m on team receiving line. 🙂

Post # 5
    2725 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

I’m still undecided about this. I’d really like to be able to spend the time with our guests at the reception. But we may do the recieving line just to make sure we greet each guest.

Post # 6
    2324 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2018

We’re having a small guest list{about 50-75} and it’s a weekend event, so we’re not doing anything formal. We’ll see everybody at some point!

I like the idea of going around to the dinner tables kinda, but it seems a little awkward. I think I would do the receiving line if you have the space.

Post # 7
    369 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

I went to a wedding also where the bride and groom acted as ushers and let each row go one by one and said hello to everyone.  If you didn’t feel like waiting though you could get up and leave. 

Personally, I’m leaning towards walking around during cocktail hour and dinner, I’m just concerned about maybe missing people that way.

Post # 8
    248 posts
    Helper bee

I think it depends on the size of your wedding which option is most practical.  We had a larger wedding (275 guests) which would have taken awhile to dismiss rows at church. It would have been unlikely we would have been able to get to each guest table during dinner. We had a  2 1/2 hour gap between ceremony and reception which is when we had pictures taken. We arrived at the reception site before the cocktail hour started. This meant we were able to place ourselves along with both sets of parents in a centrally located spot in the cocktail hour area.  Guests had the option to get in line to greet us or not.  We were not near the door so there was plenty of room for guests to come in, get a drink and appetizers, mingle and stop by the receiving line afterwards – or they could come to the line when they entered the cocktail area.  It was totally up to the guests and some did not come through the line which was fine.  At least they had the option to do so if they chose to. This worked well for us but would not work if you are having pictures taken while guests are at the cocktail hour.

Post # 9
    2280 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

This may not be an option for you, but at a wedding I went to recently, the bride and groom served communion to everyone in lieu of the receiving line. It was perfect for the couple because they are both in seminary, and it held special meaning on several levels.

You could meet and greet during cocktail hour. Another alternative could be serving your guests sometime during the night…handing out slices of cake, pouring champagne, etc..

Is it just me, or does “receiving line” sound like a football term?

Post # 10
    452 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

we are doing a photobooth receiving line during the cocktail hour. this way, we get pictures with everyone. it will just be me and Fiance. we are not including the wedding party or parents. they can move around and talk to everyone. we are going to have a few people (like MOH/BM/DOC) to help out and speed things around….make sure noone lingers….i know that sounds horrible. we just don’t want to make it too long. we’ll probably go table to table during dinner also.

Post # 11
    952 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

Our wedding is small. We’ll probably walk around to each table to say hello.

Post # 12
    6009 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2009

We did the table visits.  Just have your caterer serve both courses at the same time to you and your Fi.  By the time the caterer started serving the second course to everyone else, my husband and I had already finished our entire meal.  Then, we were freed up to do the table visits while the rest of the guests were being served and eating their second course.  Worked out really well!  🙂

Post # 13
    2634 posts
    Sugar bee

I’m having a small wedding as well, so I’m thinking (for now at least!) that’ll we’ll just walk around during the reception to say hello to everyone.

The topic ‘Greeting guests….when & where….HELP!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors