(Closed) Groom's parents won't come to ceremony unless 100% Catholic

posted 6 years ago in Christian
Post # 3
1029 posts
Bumble bee

Yep. I’m dating someone who’s mother is Polish Catholic, and she told him if we don’t get married in a church, she won’t come to the wedding. We’re very tempted to call her bluff because it’s not fair to us just because we aren’t catholic. When she said that, my SO said “Fine, it’s your loss, Mom.” I’m very interested to see what she actually does when it comes down to it. I’m sorry they’re being like this. *Hug*

Post # 4
570 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

WOW!!!!! That is outrageous. She should care more that her son has found a way to incorporate religion into his daily life (very rare these days), not that he will commit himself to you in a building with a slightly different sign out front. Do waht works best for you and your fiance- and raise your children as you see fit. And then be open minded to whatever type of wedding they wind up wanting to have 🙂

Post # 5
3626 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

It’s a shame she feels that way, and that’s exactly what I’d say to her. If you give in now, just wait until you have kids. She sounds like a joy to deal with.

Post # 6
9142 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

@OneOfTheseDaysAlice:  Pretty much what this poster’s FH said.  It’s their loss if they don’t want to attend your wedding and it will likely affect your relationship with them as well as the relationship you and your FH decide for them to have with your children.

Post # 7
134 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I would have to tell them that you are going to miss them, 100%. It’s YOUR wedding, not theirs!

Post # 8
864 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

The only way to fight a bully is to hit back. Tell them it’s thier choice to attend or not, but you will be having your ceremony where it best represents you and your Fiance.

Post # 9
857 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Sounds like my mother! Fiance and I are both non-practicing catholics, although we were both raised in the church. My mom is a die-hard, and FMIL/FFIL haven’t said anything crazy about it, but have mentioned how “nice” it would be. So, we’re picking our battles and giving in. We’ll be having a non-mass service in a Catholic church (my mom is footing the bill for it, and pre-cana) and then we’re having one  hell of a party on OUR terms.

There is, to me, something sweet about walking down a “real” aisle…the religion stuff aside, I kind of like the formality of a church ceremony. Fiance feels the same way. Just some things aren’t worth the fight, and my mom is crazy enough as-is … so we’re giving her this. 

Post # 10
1513 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

i feel for you completely. my FI’s parents are uber irish catholic and they havent given us a direct ultimatum yet, i feel it looming. it really sucks. in most situations i would suggest compromise, but it sounds like youve made a pretty awesome compromise already. if they cant accept that, then i think your might just have to make it known that you want them there but stand your ground. 

Post # 13
134 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Oh they may be mighty miffed about a non-Catholic ceremony/church and maybe even not show up for the wedding but believe me, they will want be in the lives of their grandchildren. My Fiance is Polish and his very large extended family practically worship the kids. Of course they will bug you about raising them Catholic (which is perfectly OK IF that’s what you want) – which is all the more reason to stand up for what you want now.

Post # 14
2981 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Uff, their loss. I have no tolerance or respect for people who refuse to accept others’ religious beliefs, and to bully their kids into having a wedding they don’t want to placate their own selfish wishes. Your Fiance needs to tell them ‘too bad so sad, they’ll be missed’ should they decide to not attend.

Post # 15
485 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

Your Future In-Laws are probably worried that your marriage won’t be considered “valid” in the eyes of the Church.  Ask them if that is their concern.

There is a way around that, if you are interested…… it’s called “dispensation from canonical form.”  And it’s becoming much easier to accomplish, especially when one partner is not Catholic.  The Bishop can authorize this, you just have to go talk to the Priest from your FI’s Catholic Church.

I know it’s very easy for everyone to say that you would dismiss people who are judgemental.  And for the most part, I agree with that.  But, ask yourself if it’s worth it to you to create antagonistic feelings with your in-laws.  This may be something small that you could do that would indicate to your FIL’s that you respect their beliefs.  I have met a fair amount of “staunch Catholics” and this is something you may have to hear about for the rest of their lives.  You’re not promising anything that you don’t believe in….. Your Fiance would just have to agree to tell any children about catholicsm.  You don’t have to vow to raise your kids Catholic or anything.

FAQs

However, if you guys don’t want to do that…. then they may not be present at your ceremony.  Catholics take marriage in the Catholic Church very seriously.  It’s one of the sacraments.  They might be able to come to the reception and be happy for you.  But they can’t go witness a ceremony that contradicts their faith. 

It would be like someone asking you to stand up and support someone renouncing their citizenship to the US.  By doing so, in the eyes of the US you are being un-patriotic.  Now multiply that by a million and that’s what it means in regards to marriage in the Catholic Church.

You can say “that’s their loss”…. And yes, it is.  But it’s also kind of your loss if the people your Fiance loves won’t be there to celebrate with him.

I’d also like to say for the record, that I’m not Catholic.  But I have family that are…. so I’ve done a bit of studying on what that religion is about.  I just wanted to share insight into WHY your future IL’s might be indicating they are willing to not attend your ceremony.  So that maybe you can understand and approach them with a bit of empathy.  But I do think that ultimately, where and how you get married is up to you and your Fiance.  As long as you both understand that there may be a consequence and you are ok with that…. then do what you need to do to be happy.

Post # 16
585 posts
Busy bee

I’m sorry… but are they getting married, or you? They need to mind their own stinking business!!!!

The topic ‘Groom's parents won't come to ceremony unless 100% Catholic’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors