(Closed) Guest & Gifts….Do you feel insulted if theres no gift?

posted 7 years ago in Gifts and Registries
  • poll: Guests & Gifts...Do you feel insulted if there's no Gift/Card?
    Yes I would feel sad or dissapointed. : (110 votes)
    77 %
    No, I am glad everyone enjoyed free food and drinks on behalf of myself & my new hubby : (32 votes)
    23 %
  • Post # 3
    11390 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2010

No. I honestly forgot about gifst/cards. We didn’t have a registry or anything. But I was in aw at how many people gave us cards with money in them! I was very grateful!

Post # 4
    560 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

Honestly, I will sound rude or whatever, but yea I would feel a little irritated if there were no gifts. My Fiance and I are young college students just starting off! We need some help. I guess though around here, it’s completely unheard of not to bring a gift to a wedding.

Post # 6
    5494 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2011

Yes!!!  We had two newlywed couples at our wedding to whom we gave very generous gifts VERY recently who didn’t even give us a card!  WTF?!  DH and I were pretty peeved especially because both of these couples are very well off.

Post # 9
    609 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: January 2009

At the risk of sounding super selfish-yeah i was disappointed that some of our family and close friends didnt get us anything, not even a card  to say Congrats.

And it’s not even about the stuff on the registry or the money- my favorite gift was my aunts secret recipie! She has known that i’ve wanted it for years and years and she gave it to me so i can share the love she has for me with my new husband. it was the best thing i got!

But it hurt that a few family members (not even knowing this until later) missed the ceremony-showed up for dinner, drinks and cake- then left. How is that not supposed to sting a little?

Post # 11
    7173 posts
    Busy Beekeeper

I didn’t think I would be peeved, but – now that the wedding is said and done – yes, I’m totally peeved there was not even a card from some people.  I was additionally appauled at the cheapness of people (people I DO know their means, and have given very nice gifts to) as well as totally blown away by other people’s generosity.

Post # 12
    7291 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2011

I will be filled with joy by my guests presence not presents! As a host you are there to put on for your guests, with no expectations in return other than a Thank you card!

Now weddings have become a party where typically gifts are given, but with showers and the one year rule for a gift, doesn’t surprise me that people on occasion do not receive a gift at the wedding reception.

Post # 13
    5494 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2011

@oracle: Ditto.  DH and I were overwhelmed by how generous some people are and were equally appauled by some other people’s cheapness.  It was pretty sad that in some situations, peripheral friends of our parents or distant family were so much more generous than close family members and close friends.  It really made me wonder if all these years we’ve been too generous with our gift giving.

Post # 14
    3564 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

Absolutely, I would be upset if there were no gift, even if it’s just a card. That’s just common courtesy, IMO–I just invited you to a great party, where you didn’t have to pay for a thing. The least you could do is get a congratulatory card!

Post # 15
    463 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

I think you’re looking at this the wrong way.  Your poll and your wording suggests that you deserve a present because you’re giving your guests dinner and drinks.  Well, you’re giving them dinner and drinks because you chose them to celebrate your marriage.  You wanted them there otherwise you wouldn’t have wasted an invitation. 

A present from a guest is great.  Well needed in most new couples’ lives, but I think the whole being irritated by not receiving one is crap.  Especially because “you’re giving them dinner and drinks.”  Be grateful someone took the time out of their busy day to spend an evening celebrate your life with you.  Anything else is a bonus.

Post # 16
    1474 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

We haven’t had our wedding yet. I would hope that it wouldn’t bother me, but idk. I’ll let you know in December lol!

The topic ‘Guest & Gifts….Do you feel insulted if theres no gift?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors