Post # 1
I need some unbiased opinions here:
My parents got divorced a year ago 🙁 A friend of my FI’s family was my Dad’s divorce lawyer (I made the intro….clearly a giant mistake). Anyway – now his family wants to invite the lawyer to the wedding because they are close family friends. I said no because I don’t want my parents to be uncomfortable (neither one of my parents really liked the guy). Now I look like the bad guy! Am I out of line saying I don’t want him there? I think my parents should come before his dad’s best friend. I didn’t think that was unreasonable but I’m being treated like I am bridezilla.
Just as an FYI – we are paying for 90% of the wedding. My Mom is paying the other ~10%. His dad is covering the rehersal dinner.
Am I being ridiculous?
Post # 3
Honestly, it’s your wedding and it’s up to you. Yeah, it would be nice to invite the guy if your future family wants him there but if its going to make your parents uncomfortable I would explain that to your fil’s and hope they understand. Don’t let them bully you into something you dont’ want.
Post # 4
If hes not family and not your close friend, I think you have every right to say no to a guest, especially because you are paying for most of the wedding and your mom is paying for the rest and she is one of the people who would be uncomfortable. Future In-Laws can make suggestions but thats it.
Post # 5
I personally wouldn’t invite him as that’s really awkward – dad’s divorce attorney. Yikes! Unless you are having like a 500+ people wedding and inviting everyone and their seond cousin twice removed, I wouldn’t invite him. That being said, it should come from your Fiance that you BOTH do not want to invite him and that’s that. This is easier if 1) you are having a relatively small wedding and 2) FI’s parents have other “friends” they are inviting.
Post # 6
There are times in life when you need to be able to separate your personal life and business. The man is a close friend of your FI’s family. He only worked for your Dad.
If I am correct and the two of you have either asked your FIL’s for a list of people they want to invite, or given them the number of guests they are allowed to invite, I really don’t think it is fair to tell your FI’s family who they can or cannot invite.
Any mature adult can be at the same event as someone with whom they have done business on opposite sides of the table.