(Closed) Guest Lists & Family

posted 7 years ago in Family
Post # 3
752 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Hi – you are not in the wrong.  While I love my family as well, I simply don’t have the funds to finance a family reunion.

There is nothing wrong with that.

Post # 5
34 posts
Newbee

I agree.  No reaon to strain yourself financially.  I thik the fact that you are hosting another “reception” at all is very generous of you.

Post # 6
7431 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2009

You are not crazy. Just stand your ground with your mom, and explain that some things have to be sacrificed since you dont’ have the money, and don’t give in

Post # 8
427 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

There is nothing unreasonable about it.  I am in a similar situation.  My Fiance and I decided yesterday that we are going to have a small intimate ceremony for immediate family only.  It’s what’s right for us and like you we rather save the money for a house.  If our financial situation was different we would have a bigger wedding but life happens.  Enjoy your day and don’t let them get you down 🙂

Post # 9
7312 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

No, you’re not being unreasonable. We have a very similar situation. My family is huge, Mr. LK’s family is teensy. We chose to have “immediate family”, as we each defined the term for ourselves, and our very best friends. Some in my family were not pleased with the decision, but that is their problem, not mine. We are not big event people, would not have felt comfortable with a big wedding, and, like you, have other priorities for the money in our savings account. Honestly, people will get over it. And if they choose to hold it against you, then they obviously care more about being invited to a party than having you feel comfortable and happy at your own wedding. And that’s on them.

Post # 10
37 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I agree its your day and you should be able to spend it how you want…..BUT If I was an extended family member who was invited to a “BBQ” follow-up a few days later I would feel like you are just fishing for presents with out actually inviting me to the wedding. I am not sure how you can get around that though.   Maybe I am the only one that would think that?? 

Post # 12
1489 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@ButtercupBo: Your not wrong because you are doing whats best for you and your Fiance. My Fiance has a small family and I have a good size one and we have just cap the wedding at a certain number because we have to live after it is over and cant do that if we invite everyone we know

GOOD LUCK WITH THIS.

Post # 14
3618 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Yes…weddings DO bring out the worst in people. I think just about everyone goes through this…stand your ground. We too have thought eloping would be sooo much easier, but we know it would hurt our parents and grandparents (people we actually want there on our wedding day).

GOOD LUCK! And remember to stand your ground!

Post # 16
118 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@ButtercupBo: I don’t envy you having to go through this–I thought I had it bad with my FI’s stepdad wanting his extended family who live across the country invited!

Either way, it’s YOUR wedding. You have every right to decide what/when/where and WHO attends. It sounds to me like your mom is kind of being a Momzilla.

At the end of the day what would your mom rather do, attend your small, intimate wedding and maybe not have as many people to talk to, or see the photos of your elopement?

The topic ‘Guest Lists & Family’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors