(Closed) Gun Control & Gun Rights

posted 8 years ago in The Lounge
  • poll: What are your views on gun control / gun rights?
    Firearms should be banned for everyone : (7 votes)
    4 %
    Firearms should be banned for everyone except law enforcement / military : (34 votes)
    17 %
    Firearms should be technically legal, but nearly impossible to get : (41 votes)
    21 %
    I don't really like firearms, but I support 2nd Amendment rights : (20 votes)
    10 %
    I do not own, but am neutral or comfortable with firearms and support 2nd Amendment rights : (36 votes)
    18 %
    I own a firearm, and support 2nd Amendment rights : (54 votes)
    28 %
    I don't really care either way : (0 votes)
    I care, but I'm undecided : (4 votes)
    2 %
  • Post # 3
    10366 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2010

Wow. How many hours have you sepent arguing about controversial topics today?

I am very pro-gun control. I actually took part in a government debate club in school that spent a month researching and focusing on this issue. The pros and cons are way too detailed to get into in a chat thread, however.

Post # 4
    2154 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

You’re missing an important option in that poll: I’m Canadian, and, politics and laws aside, think that Americans are cray-cray when it comes to guns.

Freals.

Post # 5
    1124 posts
    Bumble bee

Also very pro-gun control… because guns are bad.

Technically I own about a dozen guns because FH does and they’re lying all over the house. Hasn’t changed my opinion.

Post # 6
    7777 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

I think that people should know gun safety and how to properly shoot a gun…. just in case of the zombie apocalypse.

Seriously though, its not the people with legal firearms that Im worried about.

Post # 7
    10287 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2011

My family is VERY anti firearms. Not a single member has ever owned a gun and and we’ve gotten along just fine. FI’s family, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. His dad is a card carrying member of the NRA and nearly every male in his family has their pistal permit (except for FI). 

I respect their right to own firearms because they are all obtained legally and everyone is VERY responsible with them but that doesn’t mean that I like being around guns. Fiance and I lived with his parents for a few months in the beginning of our relationship and they made me very uncomfortable.

I shot my first gun a few years ago and I absolutely hated the feeling. It’s something that I hope to never do again. 

Post # 9
    7975 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

@UpstateCait: Wait, didn’t you start the “do you hunt” thread? I guess I assumed you were a hunter – am I mis-remembering that thread? hahaha…

Post # 10
    10287 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2011

@ddw: I did start that thread but it was about FI’s whole family hunting and me not being a huge fan of it. 

Post # 11
    423 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

Oh, I voted for no guns for anybody except for police/military, but I would have preferred Beluga’s option. 🙂

Post # 12
    7975 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

@UpstateCait: ooh that’s right – I remember now. That was so long ago!

Post # 13
    2907 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

WOW! 1, 4, 7, 1, 4, 7  It is split exactly in half. How cool is that?

Post # 14
    438 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

Myself and my family are very big into the NRA and gun ownership. I belive everybody has a right to own a gun and if you’re going to own a gun you should know how to use it properly. Frankly, when Fiance and I get married we’re getting out of Illinois because we want to live in a state that will not take away our right to carry.  lol Also, a few years ago, my wonderful brother gave me a .22 for Christmas!

ETA: I’d like to add that I DO believe in gun control…..it consists of holding the gun with both hands. 🙂

Post # 15
    13096 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

I voted for “I own a firearm, and support 2nd Amendment rights” – although I don’t actually own any guns myself, my dad and brother own 4 or 5 between them.

Having been around the two of them and been taught all about gun safety, I have a lot of respect for the power of guns and trust in the ability of people to use them safely.  I actually really enjoy going out to the range with my brother and shooting!

Honestly – as a PP said – its not the people who have guns legally that I’m worried about anyways.  And strict gun control/bans isn’t going to keep guns out of those people’s hands anyway – it will only keep them from the law abiding citizens who safely use them for other purposes.

Post # 16
    141 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

I my state it was a royal pain in the ass (as an upstanding citizen with a squeaky clean record) to get a general permit – not even to carry concealed.  But if I lived in Kansas for example, all I’d have to do is present a license b/c I’m a citizen and I could get a firearm.  I’d be willing to be there are less homicides by firearms in KS than in MA.  Food for thought.

After some guy tried to kick in my front door at 1:30am last year, I’m not asking any more questions.

The topic ‘Gun Control & Gun Rights’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors