(Closed) Gun Control & Gun Rights

posted 10 years ago in The Lounge
  • poll: What are your views on gun control / gun rights?

Firearms should be banned for everyone

Firearms should be banned for everyone except law enforcement / military

Firearms should be technically legal, but nearly impossible to get

I don't really like firearms, but I support 2nd Amendment rights

I do not own, but am neutral or comfortable with firearms and support 2nd Amendment rights

I own a firearm, and support 2nd Amendment rights

I don't really care either way

I care, but I'm undecided

• Post # 33
    354 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

View original reply
    @Mrs.KMM:  I totally agree.

I’m in the process of getting my pistol permit (took the class, now just waiting for the background check, etc.).  My husband and I (and my stepdaughter) love going to the range – it’s really a fun family sport.  He taught me how to shoot pistols (I’d done some shooting growing up, but mostly rifles) and he is the most careful, safety concious person I’ve ever met.  I’d much rather shoot our own guns that I know have been maintained properly than entrust it to some guy at the range.  You can never be too careful.

(I’m getting a revolver (my first) for my birthday in April.  My man knows the way to my heart!)

Post # 34
    2271 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2009

I fully support the right to arm bears!

Post # 35
    14492 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

Own em, shoot em, support em, and plan on buying more. 

Post # 36
    7774 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

View original reply
    @abbyful: lol. I saw KC and automatically thought MO. It probably is a Midwestern thing though.

Post # 37
    177 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

View original reply
    @abbyful: Do you carry a hand gun around with you?

Post # 38
    3048 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 1991

View original reply
    @elivt: I’m a Social Worker and I don’t treat people with mental illness by calling them crazy. By “crazies” I was talking about SOME of the probationers in my office who are willing to sexually or physically assault the people that they say they love. Yes, some of them do have mental illness, and I’m trained to deal with that and counsel them/give medication for that. But I was not referring to mental illness when I said crazy… I don’t think people should equate the word crazy with mental illness ever.

Believe, I know and understand the statistics. But I also don’t have kids or anyone else living with me. So unless someone breaks into my house, they’re not getting my gun. And yes, I could totally fail emotionally if someone breaks into my house… but I could also hear them beforehand and have a chance to get my gun BEFORE they come into my room. We have this conversation so many times at the probation office it’s not even funny. Everyone always has different opinions. My opinion is that as long as I have the right to get a gun, I’m getting one to protect myself from the crazy people who decide to steal/hurt other people for no apparent reason!

Post # 38
    250 posts
    Helper bee

I fully support the right to own and carry firearms.  Sadly, I live in the craptastic state of Illinois and I am not able to carry.

Post # 39
    141 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

I live in MA but have gone to other parts of the country for work, namely Oregon and Kansas and buildings actually have signs outside of them to indicate that a gun is prohibited.  It’s amazing as you don’t see that in MA…it’s assumed no one brings a gun anywhere ever unless you have a license to carry concealed.

Post # 43
    177 posts
    Blushing bee

Perhaps I’m sensitive to this issue because there has been such a discourse connecting people with mental illness to violence lately, but I really wish we could use a different word to describe people who hurt other people.

I intern as a clinical social worker in a prison, providing therapy to high risk sex offenders. I have seen very clearly what people are capable of doing to other people. That said, I do not think that everyone who uses violence is suffering from mental illness. I believe that people make choices about their behavior. There are obviously biological, social, and environmental contexts and contributers for everything. When you use the word “crazy,” to some it implies suffering from mental illness. I’m please to hear that you don’t think of or use the word in that way, but the message you send to others may not be so clear.

Everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion, and I appreciate intellectual discussion of politically charged topics. My opinion is that relaxed gun control policies do not keep people safe. Its okay if you have a different opinion.

Post # 44
    177 posts
    Blushing bee

View original reply
    @elivt: sorry, that was at kperry3

Post # 45
    3048 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 1991

View original reply
    @elivt: I did NOT say that anyone had a mental illness. I’m not sure how you turned my words into that, and I’m glad that you understand that I did not say that. Crazy to me is not mental illness. People with mental illness are not all violent. My use of the word crazy may imply to people that I’m talking about a mentally ill person… but because I never said that, they would be putting words in my mouth. I don’t understand why people would think crazy means mentally ill? Wouldn’t they need to know a diagnosis before they jumped to the conclusion that they are mentally ill?

I dunno, I’m not here to argue about it. I just want to make it clear what I said, and what I meant. We obviously work along the same lines. You work with people in prison. I work with people when they get out of prison (as many of my clients have spent years and years in prison). And no, not all of them are crazy to me… just some of them, for various reasons. But again, not mental illness.

The topic ‘Gun Control & Gun Rights’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors