(Closed) Gun Control & Gun Rights

posted 10 years ago in The Lounge
  • poll: What are your views on gun control / gun rights?

Firearms should be banned for everyone

Firearms should be banned for everyone except law enforcement / military

Firearms should be technically legal, but nearly impossible to get

I don't really like firearms, but I support 2nd Amendment rights

I do not own, but am neutral or comfortable with firearms and support 2nd Amendment rights

I own a firearm, and support 2nd Amendment rights

I don't really care either way

I care, but I'm undecided

• Post # 91
    5496 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: April 2010

View original reply
    @abbyful: As far as your story about the woman who felt “weak” with the scissors goes, I’ll explain my view. Yes, if I had a gun (and of course knew how to operate it) I’d feel safer if an intruder broke into my home. BUT, I’m willing to take my chances on dying someday at the hands of an intruder in order to keep the rest of society safer as a whole from all the wingnuts who have guns. Of course I know that sane people don’t use them in a bad way. My problem is all the insane people or criminals or people that have breakdowns at school or in the workplace. I think guns kills way more innocent people in crowds, mass shootings, than intruders would breaking into homes. That’s my view on guns and why I would never have one in the house (husband agrees).

Post # 92
    5496 posts
    Bee Keeper

View original reply
    @LGenz: I totally agree. I’m more worried driving on the freeway everyday to work and back than having an intruder break in.  Love the Plaxico Burress reference. lol 

Post # 93
    250 posts
    Helper bee

It’s kind of shocking that so many people think that gun owners are crazy people who will shoot someone.  Yes, if I had to, I would shoot someone and I wouldn’t think twice about it but I hope I am never in that situation. 

Something I have seen mentioned several times is the phrase “assault weapon.”  I am curious to find out what people on this thread actually think that is.  I have noticed that people seem to spout off rule for gun ownership without actually knowing what the weapons actually are.

Post # 94
    379 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2018

I don’t want to get into a gun-control debate with anyone, as far as I’m concerned it’s a constitutionally protected right just like free speech.

And yes, I own a firearm, carry a concealed weapon, and my mom is a card carrying member of the NRA.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 96
    13094 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

View original reply
    @SoupyCat: “There’s a reason you can’t just go buy highly enriched plutonium, or nerve gas.”

That’s not even a reasonable comparison to gun ownership.  You can’t go buy enriched plutonium or nerve gas becaues there is no good or useful purpose that a general civilian can do with those items.

There are lots of useful/good things that a general civilian can do with guns – between hunting, self-protection, or just plain entertainment through target shooting.  That’s why they are available while nerve gas and enriched plutonium are not.

Post # 97
    6350 posts
    Bee Keeper

Fi has a liscense to carry a concealed weapon.

Post # 98
    3048 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 1991

View original reply
    @LGenz: If I were you I wouldn’t buy mace. Most mace that you can buy on the street (aka at the store) will not really “down” your attacker. Some people are not even effected by it to be honest. They can still open their eyes and walk around. Especially those who are under the influence of drugs and alcohol. A lot of them will just keep on coming. If you want to use a mace-like substance to keep your attacker down (for a moment… long enough to get away) then I would suggest Raid or something in that nature! It much more potent than any mace you can buy over the counter.

This is advice given to me from the Probation Officers who carry around extremely strong mace. The kind that you have to be sprayed with before being allowed to buy it. The kind that could make you go blind if you’re not careful. Ever since they told me that I either make my own mace solution or carry around a small thing of Raid with me while walking my dog!

(This is of course, if you don’t want to buy a gun and use that. There are many alternatives as you mentioned ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 99
    3048 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 1991

View original reply
    @hopeandpray: May I ask where you’re from? I want to move there… ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, just in general I’m glad this topic is here. Why? Because I think it’s at least making people aware! You would be surprised at how relaxed you are when you come into your house and are not aware of your surroundings. I don’t want to live in fear. But another thing the probation officers stress to me everyday is being aware and at least checking the rooms in your house when you come in! They don’t stress that I have to get a gun. But they say at least get a knife from the kitchen while you’re looking. There could be someone hiding randomly and then oops, come in while you’re in the shower.

He also contstantly is jumping out of corners to scare me. At first I was like, what the heck is wrong with you?! Why do you keep scaring me like this? (You can tell we’re really prefessional, haha). His reasoning is that women in general need to be aware at all times. He gets so frustrated with his wife that she is so trusting of her surroundings. I guess we do have a slanted view because we work with people who are violent everyday… but I’m so glad he is teaching me all of this stuff. I still want to get a gun. But in the meantime I think being aware and prepared is worth it!

**Those of you in Canada I guess don’t have to worry about this. But the city I live in, there is concern. And as long as the laws are the way they are, and as long as you have people around you that try to take advantage of you, I think you should consider at least being aware. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 100
    1637 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

DH has guns and a permit to carry a pistol. He doesn’t carry it with him usually though. He taught me how to use it properly and follow a lot of the rules that @Abbyful has already mentioned. When he is out of town that gun is in my nightstand loaded in case of intruders, and I will use it if I have to to protect myself.

He locks his shotguns up in his cabinet. He hunts & we eat what he shoots.

I’m looking into getting my license to carry as well, my SIL has hers b/c Brother-In-Law is a state trooper and there was a problem awhile ago with troopers and their families being targets.

Post # 101
    1160 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

I’ve had my apartment broken into before. I wasn’t there at the time but based on what was taken/left at the scene, the intruder did not just come for the TV. He knew a woman lived there. It was a very frightening experience and informs my personal views on gun ownership.

View original reply
    @kperry3: Your post about awareness really made me think. Thanks!

For the Canada posters, I’ve always wondered about the difference between your gun culture and ours down south of you. I saw Bowling for Columbine and that made some sense, but as a history nerd, it seems to me that the seeds for American gun culture [which by the way I’m not judging or calling “crazy” or anything like that. Just noting the differences] were sown around the mid-18th century, and started to realy develop around the Revolution and beyond.

Post # 102
    3756 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

View original reply
    @Jenn23: that was me being light hearted…. not an actual debate.

Post # 103
    5496 posts
    Bee Keeper

View original reply
    @cyndistar3: I was just responding to what you said to make my point about why I don’t like guns-that’s all. You said people can kill people with “anything” and compared guns to pantyhose. (Along the lines of pantyhose could be knives, etc.) so I was just stating that I find guns way more dangerous. You don’t need to be at close range and don’t have to have more physical strength to overtake the person.

Post # 104
    2559 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

I have a gun. I live in an apt complex and there’s any number of people living around me that I don’t know or trust – and for a long time pre-husband, I had my own room in an apt of girls in a city Ted Bundy liked to murder in. If someone were to randomly choose my apt one night and break in, I have my .22 in its case by my bed. Like many others have said, it’s not the trained, legal-gun-having people you need to worry about, it’s the people who obtained their weapon illegally and have horrendous motives. As long as they have access to guns, I will also.

Thankfully, I’ve never had to shoot it and have no intention of doing so (other than in a range for entertainment) unless someone is assaulting me.

Post # 105
    3756 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

View original reply
    @Jenn23: Well they certainly are more dangerous. I don’t disagree with that at all. I believe in people having them and using them with extreme caution. I do think people should have to take a class before buying or using a gun.

The topic ‘Gun Control & Gun Rights’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors