missviolet92 : I’ll answer, but I will not be returning to this thread for anyone’s response. I already know how bees feel about the conservative point of view. There is no possibility of real debate anymore regarding anything political.
1) we were given certain rights in our constitution. Once you think it’s okay to get rid of one, none are safe any longer. Semi-auto weapons are essentially everything. that’s it, nothing left in guns, you’ve killed the second amendment. We already see people trying to chip away at freedom of speech, especially in other countries. That should scare you too, but it doesn’t because… it doesn’t affect you directly (see what I did there?)
2) People who live in cities DO NOT understand the lives of people who live in the country, but try to guide it constantly, swearing they know so much better than us ignorant hicks. We see it over and over and over again. When a rabid skunk walks into my yard, what exactly am I supposed to do? Throw a knife at it? Well heavens, if I were in England I couldn’t even do that! Because once the guns were gone, another method was used to cause problems and now that method has been banned as well. Plus it would be idiotic in the situation I described. And don’t think animal control would be any help way out here.
3) like it or not, I do have the right to protect my property: from meth heads, from that random guy who moved into a tent on another creepy guy’s property… I don’t even know his name to see if he’s got problems, from the bear that apparently marked its territory on my garage, from mountain lions, from any home invader.
4) fun fact: mass shootings are far less frequent than the media would have you believe. They are horrible, don’t get me wrong. Absolutely reprehensible. But isn’t gang violence too? Cities have far more restrictive gun bans. It doesn’t help. No one wants to hear this but BAD PEOPLE DON’T OBEY LAWS!!
5) USA has gun buybacks all the time they are very popular, they just aren’t mandatory. My dad, a responsible gun owner, has participated in them.
6) mental health is often the real issue here. There are disorders we are pretending are fine because of social issues, but they are often paired with anxiety and depression or worse psychological problems as well. In an attempt to avoid stigma and abuse, we are allowing people to run around in the real world with no sense of reality when they really need to be institutionalized (I’d love to see some great places built, like their own functional towns). Granted this can’t catch everything, I think the NZ shooter came off as plenty sane, if a lunatic anyway, but it’s a start. The guy who shot two kids locally here was already on the FBI watch list – they dropped the ball. We need to stop pretending guns are the problem and realize it’s people. Why are people deciding this behavior is okay? Why does the news , in essence, make them immortal? Why does society look at their pictures and read their manifestos and keep them at the top so the next guy decides later he’ll go out with a bang too? Fix the mental health system and leave the guns alone.
7)last, which you will all really hate … My governor has made it abundantly clear that she cares more about non-citizens of this country than she does about her own state citizens. In my opinion she has no business being a governor since she doesn’t care about her own people that she was elected to support. In one of the poorest states in the country, she has decided we will be a sanctuary state for other people when we can’t even take care of ourselves. I despise her for that. I am so proud to belong in a county that has marked it self a sanctuary county for the second amendment (most of the state has done this). If nothing else it proves a point – once you have decided you are not going to obey one law, the rest of us can choose to stop obeying laws too. Welcome to the Wild West.
Just to make it clear, even though no one will believe me, I am not a xenophobe. I am happy to have people come across legally. What I am not OK with is someone deciding that even though her own citizens are struggling, it’s OK to bring in the even more, against federal law, and hopefully use them to increase the voter base (CA already accepts unsigned ballots). It’s disgusting. Sorry, side rant just to ensure everyone fully hates me here.
Even if you don’t agree with anything I said, good on you for reading it through. Remember, I know better than to come back, so don’t waste your time replying to my book.