(Closed) Hair & make-up trial tipping; what if it’s the salon owner?

posted 8 years ago in Beauty
Post # 3
913 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

I used to get my hair done @ a salon and my hairdresser was the owner….she yelled at me for tipping her the 1st time she ever cut my hair!!! However, she was the only girl working at the salon. 

My mother used to go to a salon and the owner sometimes cut her hair and she still tipped her – she never said anything to her. 

I would tip both just to be on the safe side – if she doesn’t accept tips as the owner, she will tell you.  Saves face in case there is some ackwardness – better safe then sorry!

Post # 4
806 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

You can tip the owner if you want to, but it’s not supposed to be “expected” that you do.

Post # 5
6572 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2010

my hair stylist is the salon owner and i always tip… but she’s also my friend so of course i’m going to be nice.

Post # 6
1465 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

If you feel the owner did an amazing job then tip them. It would come across as playing favorites for one person to get a tip and not the other and it is rude and disrespectful to not offer a thank you to someone who goes out of their way for you. But you shouldn’t tip anyone just for simply doing their job (without any spectacular service) or if they do a bad job. If they’re both great, tip both of them. While most etiquette rules are in place for a reason to make sure that everyone is comfortable and not offended in anyway, this is one of the rare few that is actually archaic and should be tossed out.

Post # 7
Hostess
18644 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Like others have said, it isn’t required or expected for you to tip the owner like it would be for an employee.

Post # 8
101 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

My mom owns a salon and she still gets tipped.  Believe me, she appreciates those tips!

Post # 9
192 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

any tips are appreciated…definitely!

I went to get my hair dyed and cut yesterday~ I’m super scissorphobic ~ and she did a good job~ so I gave her a 15% tip~ 20 dollars. She deserved it~ for her professionalism, attentiveness, and perfectionism, and the cleansiness of her tools and station. I’m not wealthy…but sister is much much wealthier so she always gives AT LEAST 20%~ but you give what you can and it’s ALWAYS appreciated.

and i know that she’ll do a great job next time I go.  🙂

The first time I received a nice tip I was very touched…..it was from the mother & mother-in-law of the bride~ it’s just another way to say you loved their work, you appreciated their efforts, and I’m really happy with the way I look.  It is a great feeling – on the receiving end~ 🙂

The topic ‘Hair & make-up trial tipping; what if it’s the salon owner?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors