Post # 1
What would you do?
My hair stylist is unresponsive to emails and calling is difficult from overseas. My Maid/Matron of Honor worked out the details and prices with her and she sent me a confirmation email. She was suggested by my make up artist becasue she used to work with her. I emailed her to say I really wanted to set up a contract because I have already had one stylist (w/out a contract) cancel on me. It is 5 weeks to the wedding. She has assured me she is coming. Should I give her an ultimative and start looking for a replacement? I am getting a bit worried and don’t trust vendor’s words anymore.
Post # 3
If your makeup artist knows her, can you get in touch with her and see if she can get in touch with your stylist. I am a hairstylst and that seems very unprofessional. I do know that if i’m working on a wedding with a friend or if someone else hooks me up with the job, all the contacting is done through them, but I do show up when I say I’m gonna. One other thing is a lot of stylists do weddings on the side, most don’t do actual contracts, because payment is due at time of service. If you get a trial done or something than a deposit might be required to hold your day. Have you given her any money?
Post # 4
Tell the hairstylist you will have to look for someone else unless she sends you a contract — suggest she can use your makeup artist’s contract as a template if she doesn’t usually do contracts. If that doesn’t work, find someone else. Seriously, trust your gut — I had an unresponsive vendor who turned into a complete nightmare, and I wish I’d moved on to someone else when I started feeling like she was ignoring me.