(Closed) halo or solitaire? What are your ring preferences?

posted 9 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Which engagement ring style do you prefer?
    solitaire with side diamonds : (258 votes)
    59 %
    halo setting : (181 votes)
    41 %
  • Post # 17
    63 posts
    Worker bee

Okay, firstly, halos are not some new trend. They have been around forever, I cringe when people say that. Do people really take that into account when deciding on a ring?! I think its completely down to your own preference and which you find more appealing. I find a solitaire on its own to look unfinished but I think with side stones would look great. Halos often look stunning but there are some styles of halos I think are ugly too. I’d need to see pictures! 

Post # 18
    4940 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

I love both solitaires and halos.

I myself have a halo. Not because of some trend (because I’ve never seen any other person in real life with one) and not to make my ring look larger (I was fortunate that my husband picked a healthy sized stone). I like the halo because it’s a nod to vintage style.

I also prefer “simple” halos where the band stones and halo stones are very petite.

Now solitaires are gorgeous as well, and you have a lot of options for wedding bands, which is a huge plus!

Post # 19
    2605 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

I like rings.  Sparlky ones, big ones, little ones, halos, solitaires, three stone…

RINGS!

Post # 20
    926 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

I prefer halo… I see way too many solitaires these days. 

Post # 21
    1548 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

I voted solitare. I have always loved solitares, I think they are elegant and timeless. That being said, I have a halo and I absolutely love it and woulnd’t change anything about it! 

Post # 22
    182 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

I think halos are pretty, but I am afraid in 10-20 years it might might look dated … Kinda like poofy sleeves on 80s wedding dresses:)  I voted for a solitare because it’s more of a timeless look. Also given the size of your stone I think it’s better showcased without the detraction of a halo. But then again, you can always change the setting if you get a halo and it’s out of fashion after a decade or two.

Post # 23
    6352 posts
    Bee Keeper

I dislike halos, but side diamonds sounds beautiful.

Post # 24
    2083 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

I absolutely love solitaires with side stones. 

Post # 25
    7305 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

I love them both. On my finger a solitaire with sidestones felt “right”, but I love seeing the halos that others have chosen. Either option is stunning, and it really comes down to matching the right woman with the right ring for her. OP, have you tried rings on yet? Which setting fits most with your personality and every day style?

Post # 26
    4474 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

I like both.  I have a plain shank halo, and I love it – I feel like it’s the best of both worlds between a halo and solitaire.  

Post # 27
    488 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I like halos as long as there isn’t a gap between the center stone and the halo. If they seam with each other, then it looks nice.

I have a round solitaire with a pave band. Both styles are classic, but the pave band seemed to me to be a little less blingy and simpler than the halo, which is what I wanted. It doesn’t matter what we think though, we won’t be wearing your ring!

Post # 28
    9873 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2019

I much prefer solitaires but that’s just my personal preference 🙂

Post # 29
    2966 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

The concept that people try to “predict” what the trends will be in 20 years is beyond me. Buy something because you like it NOW, forget about the “future”.

First of all, trends rotate every decade. They come and go depending on the market and generation. What we consider “a trend” now, is some variation of what used to be in style in the 1960s or whatever. 

Second of all, to answer OP’s question, I think it is very much a personal choice. I happen to like most simple rings – simple halos, simple solitaires. It doesn’t matter what STYLE the ring is, all that matters is how it’s done. I voted halo because that is what I have, and wouldn’t change it no matter what my grandaughter says 40 years from now. 

Post # 30
    97 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

I’m a solitare kind of girl. I like a simple beautiful ring

Post # 31
    1437 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

I love them both, I gave my husband the choice of either. He picked halo because it looked more “expensive” lol. 

The topic ‘halo or solitaire? What are your ring preferences?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors