(Closed) Has anyone amended their tax return to receive 1st time homebuyer credit?

posted 9 years ago in Home
Post # 3
410 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

We didn’t, but I would have went to a professional.  Since you are changing stuff it may be a little trickier than just submitting your taxes, but I do not know for sure.  At least try to get ahold of a professional and see what all has to be done to amend it.  Maybe even call the lovely IRS themselves…

Post # 5
207 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I had my taxes done for free this year and when I closed on my house in June I was able to go back to the person who did my taxes and get them amended.  I received my check in the mail last week.  It took about 6 weeks for me to get the refund.  The form didn’t look that hard to do.  I think I could have done it myself but since they had done them for me I went back because of that.  If you go to irs.gov they have the form you need and it might not be that hard to do on your own.

Post # 6
424 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

$300 does seem like a lot. I would say try what goodart did, and return to the person, if any, did your return. Otherwise, I might try contacting your realtor, and getting their advice. Chances are someone in that office can help you navigate.

Post # 7
68 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

We filed for the credit with our original 2008 return, but the paperwork to file an amended return doesn’t look so bad.  This is the form for amending your return: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf and this is the one for claiming the credit: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5405.pdf


It looks like you can just fill out both of those and you’ll be set.  I wouldn’t pay $300 for it 🙂 

Post # 8
22 posts

My friend just did it herself and said it was a very simple process.  Her only complaint was it taking months to get the cash


Post # 9
1048 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2009 - City Hall

We paid HR Block and it cost nearly $200 to have them do it (since we’re unmarried, they had to fill out an amend for each of us).

We’d do it ourselves if we could do it again – $200 was a lot to spend to have someone else fill out a form for us. It didn’t seem that hard once she was doing it. It took about 8 weeks for us to get the checks in the mail (there was no direct deposit option).

The topic ‘Has anyone amended their tax return to receive 1st time homebuyer credit?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors