Has anyone dealt with a prenup? Especially when you are living abroad.

posted 2 years ago in Intercultural
Post # 2
636 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2019

You’d need the prenup drafted in the place where you intend to live. If you haven’t made up your minds yet, you may need to consider representation in both countries, because what matters (and this sounds crappy) is having the prenup hold water where you’d file for divorce. This is especially important if there’s property or a trust/estate involved.

I would google “divorce in a different country” and read how other people managed. You might also consider consulting a lawyer in an international city, like London, as family lawyers there probably see this more often. 

Post # 3
3347 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2017

Excellent question for your lawyer! 

Post # 4
25 posts
  • Wedding: December 2017

I have a similar situation… and by coincidence I am also doing the wedding in North Carolina 🙂

The lawyer will advise but as far as I understand you need to do one in the US and a separate one in Sweden. I don’t know anything about the legal system in Sweden but any lawyer there who deals with these kind of things should be able to do it very easily.

Regarding the US prenup, it doesn’t matter what state you do it in and you don’t need to be a resident there as far as I understand. The requirements for what you need to do to make the prenup official will differ from state to state (usually notarized and possibly also witnesses depending on the state) but your lawyer will let you know the details.  The prenup should then be vaid in any state in the US.

Just make sure you and your fiance are very clear on what you want to put in the prenup– this is the hard part. Once you are clear on that they lawyer should be able to draw it up very easily.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors