(Closed) Has anyone ever backed out of a venue?

posted 8 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
721 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

First, I think it’s very normal for a venue to take that long to respond to email.  This is a busy time of year and your wedding is still far off.  When your wedding is on the forefront of their minds, you don’t want them focusing on 2013 brides do you?  I booked my first venue in 2008 so I know how hard it is to want to get all the details finalized but have to wait on vendors who (honestly) really don’t care about your wedding at the moment.  It’s a pain but they can’t wait on every bride at once.  I would give them a call and discuss the alcohol issue.  Communication seems to be a problem too.  I am dealing with the same stuff with my coordinator and it’s frustrating. My name is not very common but I still find it annoying when she spells my name wrong repeatedly on contracts.  I just think you shouldn’t rush into cancelling on them if the issues you’ve stated aren’t really a big deal.  Talk it over with your fiance and parents and see what they think.  I know I tend to overreact a bit, so it’s nice to have an outsider’s perspective.


Now, about your original question.  We booked our first venue in 2008 when we first got engaged.  We rushed into the decision, thought we got a good deal and put down a deposit.  Some months later, we started regretting it.  I didn’t want to talk to Fiance about it because I thought he’d blame me for rushing into it.  He didn’t bring it up to me either.  So we just stuck with the venue we were unhappy with because we were afraid of losing a deposit, afraid of not finding another venue with 10/10/10 open, etc.  The first venue ended up going bankrupt and let me tell you, we were SO THANKFUL.  People were shocked because on the outside, we never voiced discontent with them.  But really, it was a blessing.  We were able to book another venue that was much more affordable and much closer to us.  SO it did end up having a happy ending.  We lost $1000 and hopefully we’ll get that back with bankruptcy court.  I don’t think $600 is a lot of money to lose if you will be happier somewhere else.

Post # 4
3219 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

Sounds like my venue. I found out a few weeks after no responce that the kid I was emailing ” no longer worked there” I would suggest calling because thats how we found that out.

Venues do get very busy but they SHOULD be responding within 48 ours at the latest IMO.

If you want to back out now would be a good time. You prob wont find a venue that doesnt have some sort of minimum. My venue has a food & drink minimum not a # of people that need to come which I liked better then having X amount of people.

Post # 7
401 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I emailed a venue to look at it and it was my top pick at the time, I emailed them in early August and yesterday they emailed me back to ask if I was still interested! It made me glad I didn’t book with them. I’m feeling this way about our photographer too, she takes days to email me back. We haven’t officially booked her yet but like her work and now I’m unsure if we should.

It sounds like you have a large guest list but I think usually the “show up” rate is much higher then 50%, about 70% I was told by our venue so I would think hitting the minimum would be pretty easy so I wouldn’t let that change your mind.

$600 is not a lot to lose if you back out but that’s probably all your soft drink costs right there. Our venue requires you to pay half of the minimum if you back out, if you back out within 6 months it’s the full minimum (7K) so $600 really isn’t that bad if you will be happy somewhere else.

The topic ‘Has anyone ever backed out of a venue?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors