(Closed) Has anyone gone on a 1,200 calorie diet? How much weight did you lose

posted 6 years ago in Fitness
Post # 2
5152 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2014

View original reply
rosecut:  Sorry, but none of this sounds healthy. 1200 calories is NOTHING. Why don’t you choose a healthier route, eat more calories, and lose the 5 pounds over a longer period of time? Chances are, if you lose pounds quickly and then go back to a normal diet, you’re going to gain it right back.

You say you had bulimia. Please be careful not to slip back into this pattern. Eating 1200 calories a day doesnt need to turn into 1000…or 800… or 500… Please see a therapist if you are feeling these feelings again. It also seems like you have a distorted body image (which many with eating disorders do). 123 pounds on a 5 foot frame is perfectly thin and healthy.

Post # 3
9081 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

It isn’t reccomended to go less than a 2000 calorie a day diet. Start out with a 2000 calorie diet and work out more. Track your calories and eat more whole foods.<br /><br />You’ll see the weight fall off.<br /><br />Edit: The ideal weight for a 5’0″ 25 year old female is 98-128 pounds.

Post # 4
5362 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2016

Completely agree with pp. I’m also 5’0 so I understand how weight effects our tiny bodies. Seriously, gaining 5 pounds over the last year is nothing. I gained almost 30 pounds over the last year thanks to a really stressful year so I’m now close to 145-150. If you’re starting to have these disorder feelings again I would seek a therapist.

Post # 5
813 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Myfitness pal has me at 1200 and it’s a 2 lb/week weight loss. I’ve had more success if I eat lots of salad and veggies and lean meat and a crap ton of water. Cut out high sodium like frozen and processed meals and diet coke.

Post # 6
813 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Also, bread, pasta and rice are the devil and count as processed… Even wheat.

Post # 7
3242 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Ummm, I did. And I fainted at the gym. Not. A. Good. Idea. You will be hungry, grumpy, prone to relapse and trust me, you will gain the weight back quicker plus some when you start eating normally again. Eat healthy regular meals and satisfy your hungers. Tummies growl for a reason. You can lose weight without eating like a six year old. 

Post # 8
23 posts
Newbee

Why don’t you try doing Zumba instead of calorie counting?

Post # 9
601 posts
Busy bee

1200 calories a day is the absolute minimum needed for a woman to survive without consequences. 2000 calories a day is the recommended amount to maintain. The issue is that if you are only eating 1200 calories a day you should not exercise as that will impact the number of calories you burn per day. Any doctor will tell you diet without exercise is useless. Maybe try eating 1200 calories plus the amount you typically burn at the gym. I have been doing this and it has worked the best as compared to only 1200 calories. The days I go to the gym I try to consume 1800 calories and the days I don’t I consume between 1200-1400. I went from 230 lbs to 172 lbs in about 5 months. 

Post # 10
3242 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Didn’t realise you had past issues related to food. Only read the title. Please, go get therapy. Don’t give in to the compulsions. Look after yourself and be kind to yourself. We get one life. Live it the way you would want your daughter to live hers. 

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  Yipeebee.
Post # 11
119 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

First I gotta ask…  are you at all concerned about starting calorie restriction if last time it led to an eating disorder..? I’m not saying that it will, but sometimes dieting can be a trigger for folks who just want to lose a few pounds and it ends up getting out of control…

But to answer your question, I think in general, 1200 calories/day is recommended as a healthy number for weight loss.  For most people with moderate acitivty levels, 1200 is low enough to lose weight without feeling like you’re starving.  This really depends on your level of activity though.  I have a desk job, I do 30 mins of cardio 3-4 times per week, and if I stick to 1,200 calories per day I usually lose around 1-2 pounds per week.  I think I have a pretty average metabolism, i.e. I can lose weight when I watch what I eat and exercise but I also gain weight when I’m stuffing my face a little too much.

I think losing 5 pounds in a month is a fine goal.  Most reputable sources say 1-2 pounds per week is within the healthy weight loss range. 

Post # 12
2689 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

View original reply
Hyperventilate:  Sorry but I don’t believe that is correct information. I weight way more than the PP and 2000 calories is what I require to maintain my weight. There is no way she will lose weight eating that many calories.

To find out how many you need to eat to lost 1-2 pounds a week try this calculator:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned

OP I eat 1200 a day right now and it works. It is not dangerous as that’s the minimum you need to eat (On exercise days eat more)… “The truth is that cutting calories below 1,050-1,200 per day is counterproductive, because you need strong muscles to be able to exercise effectively.” taken straight from Web MD!

Note though: If you do have psychological issues with losing weight and such please seek help before going on any plan.

Post # 13
238 posts
Helper bee

Eating 1,200 calories a day is probably too low if you are active and probably not good for someone with a history of bulimia. I think you should do some reading on nutrition from reliable sources (not stay-at-home moms with psychology degrees or 18-year-old bros who only work out their upper body) and start a good workout program. Just eating primarily plant-based foods, fruits, and vegetables and cutting out really processed foods should make the weight come off.

If you are weak and flabby, then start lifting weights! I try to do 5 sets of 5 reps mostly and lift really heavy (struggling with last rep in set and physically can’t do another). I’ve gotten much stronger and more toned. There are some exercises where I might do 4 sets of 8 reps, too. Weight lifting is just fantastic for your body. I also do cardio and yoga. After I started working out and eating way healthier, I have had so much more energy, my skin and hair look better, and I feel sooooo much better. I wouldn’t worry about the number on the scale and focus more on building muscle and reducing fat.

You need to think about making a sustainable lifestyle change, not just dieting to lose weight. =)

Post # 14
102 posts
Blushing bee

1200 calories for someone who weighs 120 pounds is not awful, I would eat a bit more (1300~), and even more on days when you are doing vigorous exercise (extra 50-150 calories). If you’re sore after a couple days you need to eat more protein on a daily basis, as well as drinking lots of water and sleeping adequately to recover properly!

If counting calories starts bringing back behaviours from the eating disorder, just stick to eating healthy and upping your activity. 

ETA: I have a diploma in Health, Wellness & Fitness, if you have any questions/need more specific advice I can certainly help you out! 

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  megan.daisy.
Post # 15
2869 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

View original reply
rosecut:  I have done that in a similar weight range (I am 5’3 so adjust up a bit) and lose weight pretty quickly on 1200 calories a day. It is probably not dangerous for a short tem diet but not a good idea if you want to maintain 110 pounds long term. You can’t really exercise much on 1200 calories a day. And yes, it is much more difficult to lose weight when you don’t have that much to lose because chances are, you are already at a healthy weight and your body resists a bit. I think “vanity weight” is much more difficult to lose.

The topic ‘Has anyone gone on a 1,200 calorie diet? How much weight did you lose’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors