(Closed) Has anyone gone on a 1,200 calorie diet? How much weight did you lose

posted 5 years ago in Fitness
Post # 16
2873 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

View original reply
rosecut: I’m 4’10.5″ and started at 126. I went on a 1200-1400 cal / day diet of non-processed foods, cutting grains and rice from my diet. 

I also did dailey method and jillian michael’s 30 day shred 6x / week. I did this for 5 months.

I am now 106 and maintaining at 1300-1500. I carefully budget my calories like I budget my money. 

I make meal plans but I’m flexible. I don’t get upset if I eat a cupcake, I enjoy it (split it) and move on.

I hope you have additional support as you try to get healthier, given your background. 

Post # 17
160 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2015

Ah, I am 5 foot tall and about 118 right now (YIKES!) I get it- I look ‘fine’ but when I’m toned and healthy (with muscles!), I’m hovering around 105-108. If one more person tells me I look ‘small’ and not to worry so much, I’m going to…anyway haha. No disrespect to the other posters who say it’s too little, but I think your goal sounds around the correct amount to eat. By the way, I used to be a hardcore runner with a dietitian and a personal trainer so this knowledge comes from experience with them, my own trial and error and reading lots of books. I have consulted my dietitian and she told me to lose a pound per week I need to eat around 1156 calories. Protien, veggies, fruits, healthy fats and whole grains should be on your list. Please invest in Kayla Itsine’s guides.  She has changed my life!  Currently I’m using her guides and doing ShaunT25 for cardio.  I am determined to undo a year’s worth of being lazy.

http://www.kaylaitsines.com.au 

Calories need to be at a deficit- when you’re 5 foot tall, eating 2000 calories would make you gain weight unless you’re doing pretty intense exercise most days a week. You need to lift weights (this is the best way to lose fat) along with cardio 3-5 times per week.

Sorry this is so long.  And finally- check out this website to help you calculate your fat and weight loss caloric intake.  

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/01/18/how-many-calories-should-you-eat-to-lose-weight/

Post # 20
638 posts
Busy bee

It would probably be way healthier for you, both mentally and physically, to focus instead on building muscle. I recommend it for everyone, but given your history, I think it’s by *far* your safest option. The benefits of this are countless, but the ones you’ll be the most interested in are: 1) you won’t feel so “flabby” anymore, 2) you’ll be able to eat more food without gaining later on and 3) you’ll drop inches, regardless of whether your weight changes (muscle weighs more than fact, so you get denser).

To do this, though, you’re going to need to fuel that muscle. That would mean eating way more than 1200 a day. You’ll want to keep your macronutrients balances (protein, fat, carbs) too – all three are important – don’t cut all the fats out. And lastly, you’ll want to lift weights or do serious resistance workouts more often than cardio.

Edited to add: A few years ago, I started weight training and changed my diet to 1500-1800 cals a day (with 2 cheat days a week) good quality food with plenty of protein and fat. I lost 40 pounds in 5 months.

Post # 21
26 posts
Newbee

View original reply
rosecut:  The idea behind the 1200 calorie diets is that is you net calories, not the calories you consume. If you eat 1500-1600 calories(which is actually pretty hard to do if you’re eating clean and proper for your goals), and burn 300-400 calories through exercise then you’ll have a net of 1200 calories a day that goes towards keeping things running in your body. It’s no problem if you’re eating above 1200 and burning off the excess. You can also get away with 1200 no problem, and despite what others say its NOT unhealthy to only eat 1200 cals a day. Just make sure that those 1200 are things that count. Make sure you’re getting proper vitamins and minerals and macro nutrients(carbs, fat, protein). I’m 5’1″ so I know your pain. I used to only eat one or two meals a day that were fairly large and consumed around 1400 calories/day and burned around 200 calories from exercise and I stayed around 135lbs. 

Post # 23
813 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

View original reply
Yipeebee:  oh crap I missed that detail too.

Post # 23
638 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
rosecut:  It’s important that you have something you like to do. The only thing that I’ll say about BodyPump is that it is low weight/high reps. If you really want to build muscle, you’re better off doing high weight/low rep.

But if BodyPump is something you can commit to, and you might not actually do high weight/low rep weight training, then BodyPump is what you should do.

Post # 24
5890 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

Please dont do anything that you cant keep up forever. I worked with a Nutritionist that says she has so many 40-something clients that messed up their metabolism by cutting back too much or going on crazy Atkins or South Beach (or some other non sustainable diet)  in their 20’s and 30’s.  

Because you have body issues, you really should be working with a Nutritionist who is going to help you have a healthy relationship with food. I can recommend my Nutritionist and she works with people via Skype, just PM me for contact info.

Post # 25
377 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I’m in the same boat as you! I’m 5’1 and over the last year and a half gained 10 pounds to put me at 121. My mom and I started tracking our caloriea 2 Weeks ago At 1200 calories. I am not exercising right now because of school so it has worked for me. When I get hungry and I’m not due for another portion of food I snack on pickles because they are zero calories.

i really only went a week with strictly sticking to 1200 calories though. My dog passed away so I kind of fell off the band wagon and was watching what I ate. I’ve probably been eating about 1500 calories a day the past two weeks and have lost 4 pounds over the last 3 weeks. I think as long as you are conscious of your calorie intake you can lose the weight. My plan is to get down to 115 and then go from there.

but if you are working out then definitely eat more then 1200 or you will be starving!

Post # 26
268 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2025

View original reply
rosecut:  I have a lot of friends who are 5′ and under, so I’m aware of what 5lbs does to the body.

I have one friend that dropped weight by eating healthier (she snacks on chips and candy a lot, so she changed her diet from chicken instead of pork/beef, more veggies and whold foods instead of processed foods, no candy/juices/ice cream). I think she lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks? (And before everyone jumps in and says it’s not healthy, you’d be surprised at how much water the body retains from all the excess sugar/salt we consume).

If you add in a 2-3 days of jogging/running, I’m sure you’ll be fine 🙂 good luck 

Post # 27
292 posts
Helper bee

Whilst 1200 can be a guideline as a minimum, I’d really recommend talking to your doctor or a nutritionist about what your body needs, especially seeing as you have an eating disorder and have struggled with restricting in the past.

My psychologist is also a nutritionist, and because of my eating disorder (binge eating disorder) and struggle with restricting in the past, she wants me to not count calories at all. I just have to eat 6 small meals a day with one serving of protein at each one. I calculated it calorie-wise, and it averages at about 1,700 calories. So I think it’s important that you talk to someone so that you can find what’s right for you to lose weight and manage the disorder.

Post # 28
1470 posts
Bumble bee

Exercise – run and lift weights – and work on your body that way.  Feed yourself so you’re not hungry with good, healthy foods – meats and grains and salads and fruits etc etc. Don’t look at the scale.  You might look awesome at 121 pounds, for example, and some rockin’ arms and tight ass.

Post # 29
680 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

View original reply
rosecut:  go to a nutritionist! They will tell you can and cant do. That is what I am doing for my wedding and she has been so helpful! Being fit really is 70% what you eat and 30% exercise.

The topic ‘Has anyone gone on a 1,200 calorie diet? How much weight did you lose’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors