(Closed) Has anyone gone on a 1,200 calorie diet? How much weight did you lose

posted 6 years ago in Fitness
Post # 46
11369 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: City, State

I’m still doing 1000 cal/day with my PCP’s blessing & now have 1 more holiday lb to lose that won’t come off.  I’m stuck at 120 at 5’4″.  I can’t really cut back anymore on calories.  I do speedwalk 7 days a week for 2 mi.

So frustrating.

Post # 47
234 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

18 lbs after 4 months 

Post # 48
217 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

I used weightwatchers and lost about 80

pounds in a little less than a year. Since weight watchers used a point system I can’t say exactly if it was a 1200 a day diet but I calculated it out once based off of all the foods i ate one day within my points and it was roughly 1200 calories. 

I also worked out 5-6 days a week burning on average 350 calories a workout. 

i never felt deprived, hungry, weak or tired. In fact when I was eating healthy, drinking lots of water and working out I never felt more energized and healthy. 

i would also lose 3 pounds a week consistently. 

Everyone is different and the best way to answer your question would be to consult a doctor before starting anything drastic. 

Hope everything works out for you. 

Post # 49
2869 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

View original reply
sassy411:  I’m 51. I actually found it easier to lose weight after age 30 but this coincided with me acknowledging that how much I worked out had nothing to do with weight loss, that for me, it is 90% diet. After a certain amount of years, you figure out what works for you and it is not necessarily going to be healthy eating and exercise. It might be massive calorie reduction and then you just need to decide between what looks good and what feels good.  If you are 5’4 and 120 pounds, this is the biggest problem because it is a healthy weight and your body would probably like to stay there.  It is much more difficult to lose vanity weight. If you weighed 40 pounds more, you would probably find it easier to lose.

Post # 50
2869 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
sassy411:  That being said, if you work out a lot, you might end up looking thinner at 120 than someone else at 110.

Post # 51
126 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

View original reply
rosecut:  My advice for you is to weigh in on a scale that has a body fat measurer or get a body fat analyzer.  Stop focusing on the lb’s and focus on a healthy % of fat.  Then focus on toning at the gym, and that body fat % will start lowering.  Eat your healthy daily caloric amount.  Whether its 1200 or 1800.  The muscle that you gain will not get bulky and it will increase your resting metabolism.  

Diet- Eat a clean diet.  Foods that are natural and unprocessed.  I recomment the Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno.  I lost 30 lbs in 2 months by NOT counting calories, in fact some days I probably had 2500 and others I had 1400.  I worked out 45 min a day 6 times a week.  When our bodies have clean food, they know how to process it faster.  If you havent met your goal after month of eating clean, take the wheat, oats and quinoa out for month 2.

Just so you know that number on the scale that you are focused on will go down, it is just more healthy to focus on a healthy body composition than a number that could fluctuate.

Good luck!  From a past a bulimic to another….be careful.  I still have tendencies to go extreme as well.  Be strong!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by  Jules725.
Post # 52
2869 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
Jules725:  I am familiar with Tosca Reno and yes, this will absolutely work but it is a huge lifestyle and time committment. Not everyone is able to do this.

Post # 53
11369 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: City, State

View original reply
nycsa:  

I think you’re right.  My body does seem to want to stay stuck around 120.  I’d rather it stay stuck at 118.  But, it’s not the end of the world.

Post # 54
1336 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

View original reply
rosecut:  I am not a doctor but I see nothing wrong with a 1200 calorie a day diet for a 5′ tall woman to lose 5 pounds.  I don’t think you’re going to die or harm yoursekf.  Is it too restrictive to keep the 5 pounds off?  Maybe, I don’t know.

I’ve lost weight 3 times in my life.  Only once did I count calories and I remember 1200 being the calorie target for part of the time (the program had varying calorie levels) and it worked great, I lost 15 pounds if I remember correctly. 

That was when I was young & really didn’t know about proper eating & nutrition.  Since then I have lost weight just by eliminating empty calories and eating as close to the earth or close to the source as possible.  If I only allow myself to eat healthy nutritious foods then I can’t possibly consume more calories than I burn in one day.  I don’t have to think about it.  The other rule is to break a sweat every day.  Not every day has to be an intense challenging workout, but every day I must break a sweat.  

Post # 55
1110 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

I was on an 1100 calorie diet and lost 235 pounds. 

Before and after:

Post # 56
134 posts
Blushing bee

1200 calories a day is safe. I did it a while ago when I wanted to lose the remaining 7 lbs post baby weight. Use a calorie counter for sure. I forgot which one I used. But I plugged in my goal weight and the date I wanted it by, and it told me how many calories I should eat/restrict. 

The topic ‘Has anyone gone on a 1,200 calorie diet? How much weight did you lose’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors