(Closed) Has anyone NOT gotten the job after a reference check?

posted 9 years ago in Career
Post # 4
14181 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

πŸ™ Hang in there!

Post # 5
401 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011


I wish you luck–usually when they ask for references they a very interested in you. So as long as the references say nice things about you don’t worry at all.

Post # 7
6009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

Not in quite your situation, but I’m in HR and I handle all the recruitments for my company.  I only know of one person in the last decade that didn’t get the job because of a bad reference check.  I would say about 80% of the time people get the job that’s offerred to them.  The other 20% of the time, people don’t get the job because they failed the drug test, lol!  πŸ˜‰  Keep your chin up! 

Post # 8
401 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011


yup just e-mail and tell them sorry for the inconvenience. Do you have another reference you could provide?

Post # 9
2007 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

These are just for seasonal technicians but my boss likes me to check references on everyone that meets the minimum qualifications.  Undecided  But I’m pretty sure that’s not normal.  

I hope you get good news back!  That wait is never fun!

Post # 10
620 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I dont know if it is different in Australia or in my industry, but we are offered the position based on references, so you only dont get the job if you have an Awful reference, and since you supply your own references, that would never happen!

However when I am looking at someone for a role, our industry is very small so I will most definately ask around for anyone who has worked with this person before to truly find out what they are like πŸ™‚


Post # 11
125 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I am a buisness manager and handle the hiring/ firing and all the yucky details in between at my job. I can say from over the years of conducting thousands of interviews, that I tend to go with my gutt impression of someone during the interview. I tend to look at referance checks as more of a formality. However, I have gotten pretty bad refs on people before which has prompted me to call them back in for a second interview. I usual taylor my questions more towards where their pervious employer had issues and more then once, I have changed my mind at that point based on their responses. I’ve also called back the person and asked them to come in to simply explain the situation that occured with their former employer b/c I know that sometimes employers will give less than savory refs if someone burned them (ie; gave no notice, abandoned their job, fueld gossip etc.) It’s pretty rare that I won’t follow-up with an interview unless their refs are all coming back awful to the point that I just don’t want to be bothered.

I wouldn’t worry at all!!! Even if you get a ref. that’s kinda just “eh” employers don’t really go off it. By law I am required by the state to conduct a minimum of 3 ref. checks to complete my employees file in the event that we are audited by the state or corporate. That’s all :o)

If you ever need tips or pointers for interviews, please feel free to message me! Times are tough right now and I’d love to help you out if you need any guidance!

*Be sure to email them asap with a thank you for the interview and how nice it was to meet them and how excited you are about the possibility of growing with them. I’d also follow-up with them in a week just asking if they’d like to conduct a follow-up interview/ filled the position or where they are in the process. -Makes you look very interested- I hate offerring it to someone and then they decline so if I have someone that I liked that is following up with me, I’m more inclined to go with them :o)

Best Wishes!!

Post # 12
4479 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch

Good luck! I’ve never had an employer contact my references until late in the hiring process, and then I’ve always been offered the job. One exception: I applied at a placement agency; they checked my references the day of my interview, before I came in (they did end up placing me, though). It’s a lot of work to contact references; I think it’s a pretty late stage event.

Post # 15
1485 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

good luck! πŸ™‚ waiting is stressful, but it seems like they are very interested in you!

Post # 16
4544 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Sounds VERY promising!!!

The topic ‘Has anyone NOT gotten the job after a reference check?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors