Has anyone pulled off a wedding with 125+ people for under 10k??

posted 4 months ago in Reception
Post # 2
19 posts
Newbee

I have two helpful things as my sister had a 300 ppl wedding for right at 10k. 1. Move the event out of the City if possible. Things are much cheaper just even a small amount outside the city. 2. Have the actual wedding be small and private. Our family church only holds 60 people so she had a small wedding and a HUGE reception. Nobody was offended and most people said the reception was the best part anyhow. The last thing, Find a place where you can choose your own food and drink so you don’t get trapped into high prices from the ONLY caterers the place will allow. 

Post # 4
2822 posts
Sugar bee

Your best bet is renting out a restaurant for the night. Italian is usually a good choice because hearty pasta dishes are relatively inexpensive to make.

We had a rehearsal dinner for 100 in a Bay Area restaurant for $8k including open bar for three hours. 

DIY venues are often the most expensive option because you need to bring everything in. Our caterer alone for our wedding was $12k (including tabletop rentals, not including alcohol), and their pricing was pretty reasonable compared to most.

Post # 6
222 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I did ~100 people for ~10k. Things we did to save money: 

Found a venue that lets you bring things in. If you are stuck with their food/alcohol it can cost a lot more 

Brought in our own alcohol and got my sisters friends to bartend (this gave my sisters the chance to have a few friends there too) 

Found a very affordable caterer ($17/plate, buffet)

Affordable photographer – we used someone just starting out who charged $800. This might not be something that is available/acceptable to you if photos are super important to you, we didn’t care that much

Got a few friends to make a batch of cupcakes each and one made a small 6” cake for us to cut. 

It can probably be done, but it might end up being more work for you coordinating a bunch of vendors etc rather than a single place that does everything for you. We had to do all our own set up and take down too

Post # 7
685 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2017

I did $6K for 150 in the Midwest. We did a mid afternoon snacks, cake, and punch reception with just wine and beer. Maybe think outside the box for the reception as you youncould do brunch, cake and punch, or late night dessert and drinks to save the cost of a full meal. Also if you can bring your own alcohol that will save a ton.

Post # 8
2822 posts
Sugar bee

bookends :  by the way, the courthouse in SF is an absolutely beautiful location for a small ceremony. And there are some great photographers that have very inexpensive courthouse packages. Let me know if you want some recs.

Post # 9
278 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2018

We came in under 10k for 160. We were able to find a new venue that was just starting out for a really good price outside of town. We splurged on our photographer and ceremony space. Our photographer was fantastic, and her package was a hot deal (2200 for 2 photographers, and 12+ hours plus all the rights to our package). Our ceremony space was owned by a conservation group, so all of the money we paid for it went to backwater conservation efforts. My uncle officiated. Our biggest money save was our caterer. It was $9.25 a head, I believe. Even where I live this was cheap, and a risk, but the food was fantastic. Basic, but good. We hosted beer, soda, coffee, and water. The rest was cash bar. It was great. And we got married. That was the goal!

Post # 10
338 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2019 - York, ME

Not quite what you asked for, but we’re having a 40 person wedding in Maine for about $6,000.  My FI’s family is also huge, and they all live nearby which has made this challenging.  He has over 15 aunts and uncles, and only 3 are invited to the ceremony and dinner following.  It’s a delicate situation, but we’ve told them that we are keeping the ceremony intimate and not doing a formal reception, but the next day we will be hanging out on the beach and everyone is welcome to join.  We’re going to cater in food, have cupcakes, and are expecting about 100 of his family and friends to come.  That day will only be about $2,000 and his parents are paying.

Is that an option? Find a pavillion at a local park to rent out, and just cook some hamburgers/hot dogs and make that an open event with a small, private ceremony the day before?

Post # 11
336 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2019 - City, State

Such a helpful question and answers – trying to do the same thing, and it’s daunting. Thanks, bees! 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors