(Closed) Have any of you Bees done a soup & salad tea for a reception?

posted 7 years ago in Food
Post # 3
98 posts
Worker bee

@GingerMac:

hmmmm. I think a one cup serving seems a bit small if you are only doing a salad with it, and not a full dinner or meal. If you were doing soup, salad, then a full meal one cup would be fine….but Im not sure if a cup of soup and a side salad would be very filling?? What time is your wedding reception taking place? Are you doing any appetizers?

Post # 4
1917 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

What time is your reception?  I would think your guests would be hungry unless you put out like a large cheese and fruit platter beforehand.

You would probably be better off having a shorter cake a punch reception than just serving soup.

Post # 5
5183 posts
Bee Keeper

I would ration 2 bowls (not cups) per person. This should take care or seconds and guests that show up without RSVPing. It is better to have left over than for people to go hungry. I wouldnt serve cake on a dinner plate.. serve it on a dessert plate. You can keep them in the back or at the buffet if there is one. If it NEEDS to be on the table.. try at the top of the dishes with the dessert fork. I am not sure how much salad…

Post # 6
786 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

Instead of doing soup and salad, have you considered doing passed hors d’oeuvres, and then some kind of awesome dessert station/wedding cake (viennese table or something like it)? I think I might think that it was a little strange to sit down for just salad and soup. If the soup has sentimental value, you could include it as a “shooter” in the passed hors doeuvres. If thats not an option, I might plan for 2 cups of soup at least per person. 

Post # 7
5183 posts
Bee Keeper

@RhubarbPie: this is actually a really cool idea that we were considering..a cocktail reception. The soup could be in shooters.. the salad in martini glasses.. And you can buy a bunch of passed stuff from sam’s club or costco or somewhere like that. I am not sure where you live, but there is this store called restaurant depot.. I am pretty sure it is a national chain.. pretty much it is where resturants buy a lot of their stuff! We used to buy chicken fingers from them when we were younger and no lie.. taste just like at a restaurant. You might want to look into them for some passed appetizers as well. 

Post # 8
3522 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

I think I’d offer more than one kind of soup, and plan on two bowls per person (as MrsNeutrino suggested). 

Post # 10
4653 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@GingerMac: I would be careful with only doing 1 type of soup with veggies in your soup (and assuming that includes carrots) and most likley carrots in your salad I would be stuck eating a dinner roll. 

I know carrots are not a common allergy but I would be careful because if someone is allergic to something in your soup they are stuck with salad and a roll 🙁

Post # 11
630 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Our ceremony was in the morning too and we basically did the same thing and planned for 150. We just made a lot of food and had plenty left over.

Post # 12
73 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@GingerMac:

If you don’t even want to feed people, then don’t, but please please please change the time frame of your wedding. Do a 2pm ceremony, followed by cake, punch, cookies, and a fruit tray. I would much rather attend that type of reception than one with cock-a-leekie soup, which By The Way I would not eat. If you are dead set on soup, have a veggie soup and a chicken soup as well.

Post # 13
98 posts
Worker bee

@ERnurse:

I agree. If ceremony is in the morning and the reception is at lunch time, I think there needs to be more food options. Alot of people will probably miss breakfast on the morning of the wedding, and soup and salad is not very filling.. Honestly, I’d be very dissapointed and a bit put off if I went to a wedding and only had salad and soup to eat. I think you at the very least need more than one soup option…

Post # 14
1145 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

I just looked at the recipe for the soup you are doing and it looks a little not filling at all. I dont know if you are adding more veggies and more chicken to the one I found here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cock-a-leekie-soup/

I would seriously consider doing a heavier soup or stew, like a chowder or a beef stew in addition to the one you stated. I can see many people wanting a choice, and maybe some people trying both. A can of soup without adding water is 10 oz or 1 1/4 cups. I would say the average person would have 2 cups of soup.

I would also add more than just one roll, per person. With the menu you have planned I could see myself having 3 rolls, lol.

For salad, I would say 2 cups as well.

For the number of bowls and plates to have you can decide to do bigger bowls and plates to accomdate more food (which means people will put more on their plate and they may eat more), or have extra plates for seconds.

Is this a buffet? Is this seated? Will someone be comming arround to dish out more food?

Do not put the salad and cake on the same plate. Buy paper plates if you have to for the cake.

I hope this is helpful. I really agree with many of the other posters, you need more food, and soup for 100+ people is hard to cook and transport. I would seriously consider doing something else like a buffet sandwhich spread with breads, sliced chesse, meats, PB and J, potato and macaroni salad is cheap to make and easy to store, celery and carrots…

Good luck 🙂

Post # 15
1235 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

@GingerMac:

why don’t you want tonfeed your friends and family? I’m puzzled by this..

Post # 16
270 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2001

I think the menu sounds fine for lunch.  I asked my Darling Husband and he said he thought it sounded great.  I don’t know about your dishes, but I just wanted to reassure you on your menu.

The topic ‘Have any of you Bees done a soup & salad tea for a reception?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors