(Closed) Have you ever accepted government assistance….

posted 10 years ago in Legal
  • poll: Government Assistance...
    Have you/Are you receiving assistance? : (78 votes)
    28 %
    Do you know someone who is receiving assistance? : (76 votes)
    27 %
    Would you seek help if you needed it in the future? : (100 votes)
    36 %
    Would you never ask for government assistance no matter what? : (24 votes)
    9 %
  • Post # 77
    6377 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2011

No, I have not but if I ever got to a point where I needed help in order to survive, I would graciously accept assistance. I do know many people who have received public assistance whether it be in the form of food/medical/housing help or federal loans.

Post # 78
    1298 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2013

@AB Bride:  I’m not really sure what the ‘half-joking’ is about…

Post # 79
    7382 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: January 2011

Nothing about individuals from Quebec, but Quebec’s social programs are very different than other provinces.  They also get quite a bit of money from the rest of Canada to support these programs, it’s not province generated.  Sorry, I didn’t really mean to get political here.

Post # 80
    483 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

But just so we’re all clear, people realize that taking a tax deduction on your tax form is government assistance, correct?  You are getting something that not everyone is entitled to.

Just curious if the people who said they’d never accept government assistance don’t take deductions.

Post # 81
    737 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2014

I do think we are being a bit “broad” in our definition of government assistance in this thread…I mean, student loans? That’s not something tax payers shoulder, correct? Just curious, that’s all.

Post # 82
    7382 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: January 2011

@zagora:  I thought about it but didn’t include it as it’s not getting something from the government, rather it’s just giving less to them.  I see your point though, as by getting a deduction you are paying less for the services used.

Post # 83
    737 posts
    Busy bee

@zagora:  I’m NO tax expert. But I suppose i wouldn’t define that as “government assistance”…just evading the IRS a bit? Haha. I can completely understand taking a tax deduction for donating to charity, business expense, etc…no one is being assisted by the government in these situations, just getting the proper deductions. No one should pay more in taxes than what they must. But that’s a whole different issue all together…

Post # 84
    483 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

@bigcitybee:  Yes, student loans are absolutely something that is paid for by taxpayers.  The money gets paid back, but the interest rate does not cover the opportunity cost of lending money to students – therefore there is a deficit, but it’s considered a valuable service because it builds an educated workforce.

Really all social programs are created because leaders believe that the benefits outweigh the cost.

http://febp.newamerica.net/background-analysis/education-federal-budget – some good info on federal education spending.

Post # 85
    737 posts
    Busy bee

@zagora:  Thanks for clarifying! As mentioned, I am no tax buff. Lol.

Post # 86
    3457 posts
    Sugar bee

I’ve taken student loans and grants in the past. And now, we take as many tax deductions and credits as we can legally.

Post # 87
    829 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

When I got laid off from my job I had no choice but to recieve unemployment. I didn’t think swice about it. I was a single woman who had bills and student loans to pay. I also got governement grants/scholarships for university.

Post # 88
    56 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: January 2017

Yes. Student grants and loans.

Post # 89
    281 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

I wish some of those who voted for the last option would share why

Post # 90
    1131 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

@zagora:  Seriously?! Tax deductions aren’t government assistance. Tax deductions are created by the government to foster certain kinds of spending (home ownership, capital investment, charitable giving, etc). Many tax deductions only give you a percentage of what you already had to spend to qualify for the deductions, so you really don’t get something for nothing. Government assistance is benefit programs that give you something (food, housing, higher education) for free.

I don’t have anything against government assistance. I’ve been very lucky to have never encountered a situation where I needed it. But if I truly needed the help, I would definitely make use of the programs available.

Post # 91
    228 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: February 2014

I have student loans.

The topic ‘Have you ever accepted government assistance….’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors