(Closed) Have you ever been to a wedding where you only really knew the bride&groom?

posted 8 years ago in Beehive
Post # 3
539 posts
Busy bee

We have, actually just a month ago. Wasn’t too bad, we just got a drink, sat at a table, others joined us and actually had a really nice time and met some really nice people.

Post # 4
3176 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I have several times, and really its not that bad. I’ve been to a lot of weddings. The only time it was bad was when I didn’t get a plus one and only knew the bride and really I wasn’t even that close (but close enough to feel obligated to go). I did feel really silly at times but its pretty easy to talk to people, more than likely you get the older folk who want to know who you belong to (thinking you are a relative or something). Honestly its not that bad.

Post # 5
6572 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2010

i think it depends on the person. if i want to a wedding all by myself where i didn’t know anyone, i would hate it b/c i’m extremely shy. but i know my hubby would have no problem at all.

Post # 6
681 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2018

We did. It ended up being just fine- we found a nice group of people to sit with and enjoyed cocktail hour, dinner, and cake cutting. We didn’t stay much longer after that as there weren’t any other people we knew to catch up with. I feel like most normal people would be just fine in a similar situation. Being a single guest with no date could be rough though.

Post # 7
6661 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

Yes and I had a couple at my wedding in this situation. I don’t mind as a guest, the trick is to make conversation and get to know the people at your table. I did my best to seat our friends who didn’t know anyone at a table of very friendly people with common interests and they all got along really well.

Post # 8
164 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I think it really depends on the person.  If you are an introverted person who doesn’t really initiate conversation, then it might be awkward.  This is why I allowed people who would be coming and not know anyone a plus one.

Post # 9
1927 posts
Buzzing bee

I went to a wedding recently where I only knew three people.  I didn’t know any of them well because they were my husband’s friends from growing up.  My husband was actually in the wedding too which meant that I was alone quite a bit.  But I was fine, I made friends and had plenty of people to talk to.  I will point out though that I’m a really outgoing person and will pretty much talk to anyone.  So, if you have guests that don’t know a lot of people and may be shy just try to seat them with people that they have a lot in common with.  Most people have the social skills to strike up a conversation for a few hours : )

Post # 10
759 posts
Busy bee

@artbee:  that sounds like me and my Boyfriend or Best Friend.  we actually went to a wedding last year where neither of us knew any of the guests and i just sat around and ate and people watched while the bf socialized like he was best buddies with everyone in the room, it wouldn’t have mattered if i went with him or not! lol! it really does depend on the person.

Post # 11
674 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Will your guests be allowed a +1? If so, I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. They’ll have somebody they know and they’ll have the opportunity to meet other people there as well.

Post # 13
447 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

At my MOH’s wedding, aside from the bride and groom, I only knew the bride’s mother and two brothers. It wasn’t too bad, because I was her Maid/Matron of Honor and was sitting with the bride and groom at the reception, but if I was just a guest, it might have been awkward. My husband was there as well, but he’s more extroverted. I’m introverted and not the best at making casual conversation, so I wouldn’t have done well at a table of strangers.

Post # 14
330 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I went to a wedding where I only knew the groom. It was fine – I just sat at a table with an empty chair and made friends during the reception, but I’m also more of a social person and don’t mind flying solo.

Post # 15
1 posts
Wannabee

I have, and it was fun! Ended up making friends with the people at our table and had a great time! I’m kinda outgoing though; I could see how it might be a little harder if I was shy.

Post # 16
636 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

My husband and I are going to a wedding where we only really know the bride and we are actually looking forward to it!  We go to a good amount of weddings so we think it’ll be fun to go to a wedding where we have very few social obligations and we can just enjoy – eat, drink, chat and spend the night in a nice hotel.  If you give your guests a plus one it shouldn’t be a problem.

The topic ‘Have you ever been to a wedding where you only really knew the bride&groom?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors