Post # 1
I just realized how close our wedding is. I can barely breathe, my hands are shaking like crazy, I’m sweating, and there’s a roaring sound in my ears. After reading other posts, I feel like I’m way behind. Here’s what’s taken care of:
- I have my dress. (Have not started the alterations process yet. Am waiting until 6 weeks out as I was told that would be okay.)
- I have my bra. Slip is ordered.
- Bridesmaids have dresses.
- Venue is booked.
- Photographer is booked.
- Officiant is on board.
- Save-the-dates have gone out.
- We’ve met with a caterer and planned our menu, but we haven’t paid a deposit or offiically booked them yet.
- We know where we’re getting our cupcakes, but haven’t ordered them yet.
Here’s what’s NOT done yet:
- MUSIC. Neither ceremony nor reception music. FI and I are stressing out about this bigtime because music is really important to us, but I am the ANTI-CHEESE and he is the ANTI-POMP so that rules out both “our” songs (too private for guests’ consumption!) and most of the classical pieces that seem processional-appropriate to me.
- My shoes, jewelry, and hair/makeup plans.
- Bridesmaids’ shoes and jewelry.
- FLOWERS. My mom and I had been planning to make the bouquets, but we don’t know exactly what we’re doing yet. We’ve been practicing with different types of flowers but that’s it.
- RINGS. No, seriously. We’ve looked at them and found some we like, but haven’t ordered them yet.
- INVITATIONS. Not even ordered. We’re planning to send them 6 weeks out since we already sent out save-the-dates.
- Tuxes (I’ve been bugging Fiance about this, but he hasn’t made any decisions yet).
- Ceremony “script.”
- Gift registry (we weren’t going to do one, but people keep asking us where we’re registered).
And that’s all I can think of in my current state. I feel like I’m forgetting something HUGE.
I know I’m way behind where I should be. Things were complicated by a cross-country move and Fiance becoming unemployed after we had already set our budget. Every night I have nightmares about it being the day of our wedding and us having nothing done. Right now, I’m struggling to breathe, which is why I’m writing this post. Please somebody tell me that there’s still time to figure all this out!
Post # 4
OH, and yesterday I tried my dress on again and discovered that it will no longer zip, so I have to try to get back into it before my first fitting in November. qaoiwhgoiehaogih I’m a mess.
Post # 5
You actually have a lot more done than you realize. And by the way: who are you benchmarking yourself against to be “behind?” I don’t think you’re in bad shape at all!
First: Order that list into priorities of what you think needs to be done first.
Also: If you give a baseline on what the cost of gifts are, bees are pretty good about helping you think those things through. Ask, and you shall receive. We’ll suggest good bridal party gifts.
If you’ve got your officiant, ask him / her to send you samples of script that convey the tone you want your ceremony to have.
I think you’re getting ahead of yourself by panicking. All the big stuff is done, from here on out, It’s cake.
Post # 6
Look at all the things that are done! Venue, check. Caterer, check. Plenty of people plan their whole wedding in a few months, you can easily finish the things you have left 🙂
Try not to look at it as a big picture but rather little milestones you have to reach. Invitations and registry seem the most pressing because they need to go out six weeks before your date. If you don’t want to do a registry, don’t – there’s no point registering for stuff you don’t want just to appease other people. If you do, then spend the day doing it as a couple, “date-style”.
Try to get the invitations ordered this week, then it’s one less thing to worry about! It’s just one task.
Your shoes and jewelry/Bridesmaids shoes and jewelry. Take a girly day out to take the strain off and make it fun! Same with the flowers, have a day with mum and make some firm decisions. Doesn’t have to be this week.
Tux, stop bugging him. Tell him he needs to sort it out by X date. And if he doesn’t he’ll have nothing to wear. You sound stressed, you don’t need his poor organisation making it worse.
Music – you sound like you’re limiting yourself, maybe reconsider?
Anyway, my point is, all the tasks are doable. Try to do one or two a week and it’ll be done in no time 🙂
And order your cupcakes – don’t want to forget those! 🙂
Post # 7
And remember to breathe! Ask your bridesmaids to help or girlfriends to chip in and take smaller tasks so you don’t feel so overwhelmed. When people offer to help, take them up on it! You aren’t alone in this process (I have to tell myself that daily!)