Post # 1
My fiance and I got engaged in May and we still have not been able to pick a date! The three main reasons are that I’m in medical school and rarely get time off, my brother is being deployed in November and we want him to be there, and most of the reception venues in my home-town are booked. We are left right now with three options (based on when I can get time off)
1. Friday August 31 2012: ceremony at 3pm, reception at 6 p.m. at a place we love (but that is a LOT of work since it’s a museum and we would have to do everything ourselves). We are worried about losing people since it would be on a Friday.
2. Saturday September 1, 2012: ceremony at 5:45 p.m., reception at 7 p.m. at the Holiday Inn (not my first choice). The timing would be great for our guests but I am worried that it will feel too rushed for us with pictures (we REALLY don’t want to see eachother before the ceremony). The problem with both of these Labor Day options is that my brother will most likely still be in Iraq 🙁
3. Saturday December 22, 2012. The big pluses with this date are that I will be on Christmas vacation so I’ll have a week off before the wedding and we will be able to go on a honeymoon. A really nice place overlooking water is also open this date. My brother will also be back. The negatives are that my hometown is very far north (gets tons of snow and ice) and there is a likelihood that a lot of people won’t make it due to weather (and my fiance’s family all lives at least an 8 hour drive away). I also never wanted a winter wedding and my fiance and I don’t really want to wait to get married until then.
Post # 3
Winter is beautiful. I recommend waiting so your brother can be their see as you have made it a con of almost every choice..it seems important! Time goes by really fast as well.
Is there a religious or a financial reason for wanting to get married sooner? you could always get married legally and then save the celebration for December.
Post # 4
What state do you live in? I live in Buffalo, so we are used to the snow up here. I voted for the December date since it is a saturday, and your brother can be there. I think that people will still be able to make it. If it is important to them, they will make the trip and just because it is december, doesn’t mean here will necessarily be a blizzard. As you said, you will also have more time to take a honeymoon, and maybe depending upon where you go, you can get cheaper rates since it may be the off season
Post # 5
The combination of family being able to make it, a location that you love, and time off before and after the wedding, push the December date to the head of the pack for me.
It’s only a few months more and the positives outweigh the negatives IMO. The people that really matter will make it work, snow or not.
Planning your wedding around weather is always a tough variable because you never know, September could be horrific and December might be gorgeous next year.
Post # 6
i vote for the december date, you added so many positives to getting married on this date and it really isn’t that far away, i get married te saturday before this, and i feel i still don’t have enough time 🙂
Post # 7
Since you don’t want to wait to get married, might you actually get married sooner and then have the formal wedding and reception when your brother returns in December. I believe everyone will understand your wanting to wait for your brother for the festivities. But for yourself, if you want to be married sooner, you could. In essence, you could have your cake and eat it too.
Post # 8
@2ndtime: I agree.. can you have the wedding sooner, and the big party next December when your brother is home? It sounds like having your brother there is pretty important to you.
I live in Wisconsin, and in my experience blizzards tend to hit more in Jaunary and February than December- last year was the first white Christmas in forever. I’d say it’s more likely that everyone WILL be able to come than they won’t because of the weather.