(Closed) Having BIG problems with venue! Should I cancel?

posted 8 years ago in Venue
  • poll: Should I cancel my venue and book somewhere else?
    Yes, they're clearly messing you around. : (16 votes)
    70 %
    No, you're most likely overreacting. : (0 votes)
    No, it sounds like the photographer is the one with the problem. He's the one you should ditch. : (0 votes)
    Maybe...try talking to them again in case it's a misunderstanding before deciding. : (7 votes)
    30 %
  • Post # 3
    213 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

    I am a little confused. Is the photographer part of the venue? Or did you hire him on your own?

    Post # 4
    3768 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: August 2013 - Brookfield Zoo

    YIKES, that sucks and I’m sorry you have to deal with this stress!  I would give them one more chance after talking but maybe do a bit of looking for other places at the same time (with 11 weeks to go the options probably aren’t much).  I’m also a bit confused why the venue would pay the deposit for an “out of house” photographer and you would not?  But still, it doesn’t sound like they’ve been very helpful at all.

    Post # 5
    3683 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

    That is really strange.  I have to wonder if the venue is having financial problems, and that’s whay they’re dodging you.  Maybe they took your deposit and spent it on other things not related to your wedding, assuming that they would have everything straightened out on your end by the time the wedding day arrived.

    Post # 6
    3625 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

    Unless this is your absolute dream venue or the only venue near you within 200 miles, I would probably cancel with them. These are a lot of red flags and the venue is such a huge vendor (vs like a candy bar or something) that I personally couldn’t imagine not feeling 100% confident in their ability to provide everything they are supposed to. I would consider shopping around for another venue just to see if anything is still available at this point in time. If you wait any longer, it will be time to formalize invitations and get the word out and it will be a pain to change venues after that.


    Post # 7
    201 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

    Something is wrong in thIs scenario.  I would start looking for a new venue ASAP, but don’t cancel with this one until you have something else lined up.

    Post # 8
    3696 posts
    Sugar bee

    I would say DOCUMENT EVERYTHING and be prepared to put in a claim with your credit card to get the funds back. I hope that you won’t need to, but I would do the legwork just in case. Since you are in Scotland I don’t know if the same consumer protections apply, but I know that in the US there are strict regulations that govern transactions conducted with credit cards and the buyer is protected if the seller fails to deliver.

    Post # 9
    11267 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2012

    there must be a reason why other bookings have cancelled and yours is the only wedding.  if this venue is not paying their suppliers, they just won’t show up for your wedding.  that would be worse than losing your deposit.

    i would seriously start looking for another venue.  try to get your deposit back if possible but don’t hold your breath.  check your contract.  did you ever get one??

    Post # 11
    2203 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

    There is something really wrong here. Failing to pay suppliers? Big red flag.

    The whole outsourcing of suppliers thing doesn’t really surprise me, except that they presented it to you like it was all 100% in-house. Dishonesty is another big red flag.

    If they can’t manage basic communication with you, how are they going to handle the big event?

    I would try to find somewhere else. Sorry 🙁

    Post # 12
    3625 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

    View original reply
    @Shaerena  I don’t know how things are over there, but since you have no contract and things are so dodgy, i would file for a chargeback with your credit card company and let them fight it out. (Thank goodness you paid via CC btw, instead of check/cash.) As PP have said, you are the only one that hasn’t cancelled and usually, couples don’t cancel something this big/expensive like the venue! If they can’t pay their suppliers and people are cancelling left and right, then there’s a good chance this place may even shutter before your wedding happens and you are left out in the cold. Even if you get reimbursed by your CC, you still will need a venue! (This is like the brides who buy a wedding dress, pay for it, and then the place closes down before they take delivery of the dress!)

    Post # 14
    2353 posts
    Buzzing bee

    None of that sounds right to me. And even if after lots and lots of trouble, it all comes out okay in the end, who wants the hassle? I think they sound shady and you could end up in real trouble. I’d start shopping around for another venue right away.

    Post # 15
    6256 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: March 2014

    So what happened?

    The topic ‘Having BIG problems with venue! Should I cancel?’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors