(Closed) Having dress regret. Help me decide?

posted 7 years ago in Dress
  • poll: What should I do about the dress?

Stick with the first dress

Stick with the first dress but try to alter it to make it more like the second dress

Buy the second dress and try to sell the original

Wait to see the first dress in person again, and then decide

Other

• Post # 2
    11 posts
    Newbee

My wedding is in September and I bought my dress a year in advance. I’m not emotional either, had tried on dozens of dresses and the one I bought was just the best I could find at the time. I tried it on in April and it just didn’t excite me anymore. I felt like I could do better with the new dresses that had come out in the spring. I went and tried more on, found one I was really excited about and exchanged my old one. Now I did all this at David’s Bridal so they were able to exchange so I didn’t have to worry about selling, and their dresses come in like a month after being ordered so time wasn’t an issue. I thought about altering my first one, but all in all it had style elements that I just didn’t like. I felt like I had a huge weight lifted off my shoulders when I found my second dress and the dress regret went away. Do want you need to do to be happy. The last thing you want leading up to your wedding is having something hanging over your head.

Post # 3
    2538 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2016

I honestly like the first dress better, but you’re the one that has to love it… I wouldn’t go even more over budget to get a second dress though.. I would wait until the first one comes in. I think its so pretty! I love how the top is plain with the sparkly belt.

Post # 4
    999 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2016

I think adding a sweetheart neckline and a crinoline layer or hoop skirt underneath your dress will make a huge difference!

Post # 5
    347 posts
    Helper bee

I like the second dress better, if you have the money you should get that one. Otherwise the first is lovely also and can probably be made poofier with a petticoat. 

Post # 6
    355 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2015 - Redondo Beach Historic Library

The skirt on the first dress is just so soft and dreamy, I like it as a whole better than the second one.

Post # 7
    8 posts
    Newbee

Do you know if any stores still have the first dress? Maybe you could go and try on the sample of the first one again to just see if you still like it at all. And that could help you decide what to do 🙂

Post # 8
    1000 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

View original reply
    Soon2bmrs1:  I like the 2nd dress better, but if I was in your shoes, I would just suck it up and stick with the first one. You mentioned you were overbudget already; I just wouldn’t risk it. The wedding isn’t about your dress, you will still have a wonderful day in the original dress that you purchased. 

Post # 9
    4556 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

I’m a dress regret bride and bought a second dress. Granted I was over 2 years out when I bought the first and 16months with the second. I think the second dress is amazing and I love the way it looks on you! But we don’t know how the first one looks… If you could swing it, then do it if you feel comfortable. I know what it feels like to stress about it and feel complete relief when I finally found the one. It’s such a great feeling! I haven’t looked at any more dresses since January, where as I was constantly looking at dress from last April til this January. 

Post # 10
    769 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    Soon2bmrs1:  Will you have to alter or clean the sample dress in any way? Because that might set you back a few more hundreds if you do buy the sample dress. 

Whether or not your original dress would sell probably depends on what size the dress is, but you will definitely take a loss, even a small one, on it. 

Personally, I think they are so similar that some alterations to the first dress would make it so similar to the second one. Have them modify the neckline of the first dress to a deeper sweetheart. It will make a world of difference. If they can add tulle, then I would add some too if you prefer the more full look. As for the beading on the bodice, you could just accessorize with a larger statement necklace to complement the simplicity of the first dress and/or add appliques to the bodice.

Try to figure out what is doable and what will cost you more: new dress or alterations to the first dress. It might end up evening out and that will help you with your decision, since money seems to be a large contributing factor in your decision-making process. Either way, I think both dresses are beautiful, but you definitely don’t want to have dress regret later on. 

Post # 11
    273 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2016

what if you had a seamstress add a layer of sparkly fabric that you like over the plain boddice of your first dress and add a couple of layers of tulle and a slip with hoops?? that would make it look really similar and end up costing less than buying the second probably!

Post # 12
    8480 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2012

I’ll be honest, I love the second dress.

Post # 14
    295 posts
    Helper bee

That second dress is perfection!

The topic ‘Having dress regret. Help me decide?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors