(Closed) He wants to cancel the honeymoon?

posted 7 years ago in Emotional
Post # 3
1090 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I wouldn’t cancel it.

You will be losing a lot of money too- might as well have one “hoorah” before you start budgeting like crazy. Maybe not the best advice, but that is what I would do!

Post # 4
3618 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

How much is left to pay for the hotel? I would still go since your flights are non refundable. And you’ve already spent close to 3k on it. Maybe you can switch to a cheaper hotel?

Post # 5
11166 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

Well it sounds like a lose-lose situation and I am really sorry for all your troubles. I do hope that the wedding was a ray of light in an otherwise gloomy time money wise.

I am wondering if you can perhaps get vouchers for future use for both the hotel and flight? That way you can postpone your trip until things are a bit more solid financially.


Post # 6
5543 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2011

Well if I were going to lose $2800 by cancelling it then I sure would still be going! 

Post # 7
1120 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

If you end up losing the money anyways, might as well go… Depending on how much more you have to shell out once over there.

Post # 8
1489 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@Luxuryshoegal88: I agree… cancelling it would mean losing $2800.00… might as well take the trip amd just cut corners on what you do while on your trip


Post # 9
649 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

Awww I am sorry.  That’s a sticky situation.  So you will be throwing $2,800 out the door if you don’t go?  Where is it that you are supposed to go?  Is it somewhere where you can affordably feed yourselves and just relax and do minimal activites etc. that won’t cost too much?  It sounds like the break would do you both a world of good if you can manage to swing it financially.  I hope you can make it, fingers crossed for you!

Post # 10
9824 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

I know it’s disappointing, but if you can’t afford it, you can’t afford it. Did you have any idea things were this bad financially? It just sounds like maybe your husband hasn’t been telling you the whole truth about the money situation for fear of disappointing you. I mean, telling you “Hey we can’t afford all this stuff” the DAY of your wedding? That’s just completely irresponsible.

I’m not trying to be negative, but the biggest problem here is definitely not having to skip your honeymoon… it sounds like you should be saving everything you can right now, NOT spending. Going on a vacation right now when he’s not even sure when he’s getting paid next (which is also a huge problem, how is he getting that taken care of?) would be a huge mistake. Unless there’s absolutely no way to get your money back, I’d try to work with the travel companies and work something out… or downgrade.

Post # 11
466 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Are your flights/hotel refundable? If you’ve already spent nearly $3000 on the honeymoon that you can’t get back, I say just go, but maybe try not to stay as long, or spend as much? But if you can get your money, back, it might be wise to just plan a local long weekend, instead of a vacation.

Post # 12
2288 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

I agree with KatyElle. Any chance he’ll be getting paid soon? If not, I’d skip the honeymoon. Not only would you be in the hole because of it, but he’ll probably have to be looking for another job.

Post # 13
1137 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Trip vs. Car and Mortgage Payments? This sounds like a no-brainer to me! Spending money you don’t have on a vacation instead of being conservative and saving every penny to pay for upcoming bills is not a good way to start a marriage.

Your husband sounds very responsible, and I applaud him. There will be plenty of time over the next 50+ years to take a trip, but loosing your cars or house will set you behind for life….

Post # 14
271 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Do not cancel it! You need it.

Post # 15
209 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Is the hotel deposit just a portion of the full hotel balance?  Usually you get 72 hours to cancel your hotel reservation without a penalty.  I would call the hotel and see what their policy is.  I would also try calling the airline and try to cancel the tickets.  You might lose some money but at least you’ll be able to get some back.

I know it sucks but it sounds like you’re in pretty serious financial trouble, especially with liquidity, and this really isn’t the time to start going on vacation.  Every dollar you spent, no matter how frugally, is money away from your house and car, which is much more important.   Good luck with everything.  

Post # 16
405 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

If everything is paid for then I don’t understand why you wouldn’t go.  Do you expect to spend alot more when you get there? 

The topic ‘He wants to cancel the honeymoon?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors